HybridZ

need help with bike

stravi757

so guys my i crashed my brothers bike today on redwood road, i messed up the front fork badly. i was wondering since i know nothing really about bikes where should i get a new or used front forks from so i can fix my brothers bike, and is it difficult to replace, i looked at it and it doesnt seem to be too hard but i could be wrong. its a 2001 cbr f4i btw any help would be great because i need to get this thing back on the road for him as quick as possible especially since summer is about to start

i was taking a turn and there was gravel so i started to slide. i knew i was going to crash at that point so i just straightened the bike and tried to lose as much speed as possible. i ended up crashing into the dirt on the side of the turn going somewhere between 13-9 mph. on the fork the left one is bent in that u can tell by the naked eye, the right im sure need to be replaced but it doesn't look bent. the front rotors look staright, i dont think theres anything wrong with the calipers. the ferrings are a little bit scratched up but they didnt crack or anything, and the tail of the bike is completely cracked. ill try and get some pictures up tommorow.

what else do you think could be wrong with it that would keep it from riding other than the forks being bent? btw the bike starts up fine and doesnt make any weird nosies or have any leaks or anythings.

Does he know about the said incident? Or is this a "Fix it before he gets home from vacation" type of thing. :)

no haha he knows. he picked me up. it was my parents that i was worried about because they... well you know how parents are.

i just told my mom that someone went through a red light at an intersection so i threw the bike down.

Alot of time the forks get twisted in the clamps after a digger. Try loosening the tripple clamps and relieve the tension and tighten them back up.You will have to jack the bike up off the ground to do this. Make sure both fork legs are the same height above the top tripple clamp when you tighten them back up. If it is actually bent then look for bike salvage parts in adds in the back of streetbike magazines and call around. Bummer it happened...the same thing happened to me years ago at night when turning and hitting rocks in the road. I ended up high siding and totaled the bike.

...on the fork the left one is bent in that u can tell by the naked eye, the right im sure need to be replaced but it doesn't look bent.

Pull the forks and take to a reputable bike shop to true them back up (they can be straightened to 98-99% true... you can't tell); no need to replace... speaking from experience. Much cheaper than replacing!

[Edit:] In my case, a friend was test riding my bike for sale and ran head-on into a parked car... bent both forks in the middle down at about a 30 degree angle. The forks were re-trued to 98% left and 99% right--couldn't tell and looked new again. Rode it for years after including hi-speed with no issues before I finally sold it.

Guest Luigi

Think he has a web site. He is to forks what currie is to rearends. Lot's of spares, lot's of knowledge. Good luck and I'm glad YOU are ok.

Lewy

So i took the forks off today and the right one seems to be straight but the left one is bent pretty badly, so i guess getting it straightened would be an option, but i was thinking about buying these. i think they will still fit my bike. what do you guys think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310147816807&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

i was also considering buying these fairings, i know they are cheap so it seems too good to be true. any input

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CBR600RR-CBR-600-RR-600RR-F4i-01-02-03-Fairing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a13Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZ

I don't see why the forks wouldn't work. They are for an F4i and that is what you crashed, right? The year shouldn't matter, as long as they are the same model, which they are.

The aftermarket fairings are something that I would stay away from. They tend to be thin, poorly made and hard to make fit correctly. This could be the one time they are not, but I am guessing not.