HybridZ

What's "early" for a 260z?

Well since I have a 1974 260z (2+2) I'm now trying to figure out what is transferable from my 280z.

I've heard that 'late' 260's are basically 280's for the most part and the 'early' are more 240's.

When does the early/late transition happen?

Thank you

If it has 280z style turn signals, it's a late 260z. Yours is easy though, since, as far as I know, there is no early 2+2 of any kind. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure.

And yes, late 260zs are more or less 280zs, and early is like the 240z.

Hope that helps...

janaka-

The transition occured Aug/Sep 1974. Anything earlier is an "early" '74 and anything later is a "late" '74.

I believe that the chassis number also indicates "early '74" vs "late '74". Anything up and including chassis # RLS30-060000 is an early 74; anything later is a late 74.

Both pieces of information can be found on the metal body ID tag riveted to the inside of the driver's side door jamb.

As rturbo pointed out, the turn signals are a dead giveaway for early vs late. The bumpers are another easily identifiable distinction.

A good deal of Z-car historical and reference data can be found at the following website:

http://www2.zhome.com:81/.

Enjoy....

jhm

Thanks for the help guys.

As for turn signals and bumpers. Mine has neither stock or else I would have known by skinny vs fat (like i have on the 280).

I'll have to see what the date is on the door of the car.

Even if your bumpers have been replaced, you should be able to determine which bumpers were there originally. The thin (early) bumpers had indentations in the front and rear corners to accommodate bumper mounting; the thick (late) bumpers had no such indentations.

Hmmm I guess I'll have to go to the container to look at the car and see for sure when I get a chance.

I do have the title and the ID # is GRLS30003945 which by your previous post would certainly make it an 'early' '74.

I guess the suspension and such may not be transferable :(