HybridZ

ka24de into 240z swap completed with turbo

I made this setup about 5-6 months ago, but decided to post today for others to see that it is possible and practical to swap in a ka24de from a 240sx for cheap!

Current setup: 240sx KA24de engine and transmission, custom made tranny and engine crossmember from scrap metal laying around in my dad's yard. and some cheap rubber engine mounts from Mckinney motorsports. Running on E85.

The biggest problem we ran into was the car was so much ligher up front after the swap, we had to cut off coils from the front springs to make it level again.

The engine sits a couple inches from the firewall, and the transmission shifter is in the perfect location. The car has more go power, n/a than many 240z's with a stock l28 with su carbs or efi. but there are too many variables for this statement to be fact, and this is just my opinion.

Here are some pictures of my team's 240z that was built for with a buget of $1500. Took alot of countless hours of labor and custom fabrication/elbow grease to get it cleaned up and took alot of searching to find those good deals.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions leave comments and ask for more pictures! Thank you!

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome swap!!... but how about some specs? injectors? turbo? engine management?

An observation: the breather line on the valve cover going to the intake of the turbo looks like it would just make the turbo suck in oil.

Love the swap, though. Its really cool when you can make some power with some ingenuity (sp?) and spare parts. Keep the pics, any videos coming.

-Jose

Awesome swap!!... but how about some specs? injectors? turbo? engine management?

An observation: the breather line on the valve cover going to the intake of the turbo looks like it would just make the turbo suck in oil.

Love the swap, though. Its really cool when you can make some power with some ingenuity (sp?) and spare parts. Keep the pics, any videos coming.

-Jose

I'm not at liberty to give out specs right now as the car is not dyno'ed and we are in the middle of a racing event. I'll give them out in a few months. lol! maybe in 2 weeks... engine management is done with ecu re-programming.

the oil will get sucked into the turbo if the oil is too thin, if the engine has accessive blowby, or if the oil is over-filled. but oil is good, it keeps the moving parts in the intercooler lubed, lol! just kidding. Ya, serously, the breather setup does not suck enough oil to be of any concern. its better located before the turbo so when boost kicks in, it doesn't blow out the seals from a boosed crankcase! haha! Bottom line, we didn't have room in our buget to add a oil catch can.

i don't have any video's yet, but I'll add more pics with requests.

^^Totally understandable. I wanted to boost a KA back when I was driving a 240sx coupe. I remember reading something about a Holset turbo setup on ka-t.org but I never got into it... so I was wondering how it worked out for you.

Good luck on your racing events to come!

-Jose

Did you happen to remove the power steering pump? And how did you get around the thermostat housing issue?. Mine sits about 1/2 an inch to an inch around from the firewall.

EDIT: Like the bottle of NOS lol

I got a picture of that somewhere, when i get home i'll upload it. very easy. just used a ka24e t-stat outlet, alternator brakets and find a three rib belt that fits, i think off a lebarron or something. i'll get back with you with the number.

I got a picture of that somewhere, when i get home i'll upload it. very easy. just used a ka24e t-stat outlet, alternator brakets and find a three rib belt that fits, i think off a lebarron or something. i'll get back with you with the number.

Because I had to fab a new alternator bracket to run a single belt to run the water pump.

LOL! corner balanced? how much does that cost? i will do it if it makes the car faster!

I'm actually making a spread sheet of the different engine's F/Rs in S30s, well an average of different data collected because everybody's car is different. Just something to pass the time because I already did a spreadsheet of all the aero results to make it a lot easier to read for me than that tiny print and stuff on the actual results table.

LOL that is the sweetest ricer coolant overflow tank EVER!

To think, i was going to have two of them! heh heh!

you wouldn't believe how many people mistake it for the real thing! at least 15 people have come out and asked me about the nos and thought it was real! I tell them to follow the "nos purge line", then they see it leading to the radiator and laugh!:icon56:

here is the picture of the single cam ka thermostat housing and single cam alternator braket set for AK-Z!

singlebeltsetup.jpg

Hmmm. Then I might have to mod my bracket even further, or just get single cam brackets :P. My alternator sits higher up, so it just clears the thermostat, but just barely. When its running, it will be rubbing :P.

Be careful with the NOS bottle, using it for an overflow tank. I tried to pour some tea into one, one time, and the bottle started shrinking o_O

Hmmm. Then I might have to mod my bracket even further, or just get single cam brackets :P. My alternator sits higher up, so it just clears the thermostat, but just barely. When its running, it will be rubbing :P.

Be careful with the NOS bottle, using it for an overflow tank. I tried to pour some tea into one, one time, and the bottle started shrinking o_O

That is some Hot Damn tea! haha! Ya, i think your right! I'll keep an eye on the nos! Thanks!

I can get some single cam brakets 4 u if you make it worth my while! they just bolt on. Or,,,why don't you Just grind a little off the thermostat housing so it doesn't rub. and leave it at that!:) easy and it works!

The housing is awfully thin. Ijust need to get a lower profile SOHC housing, thats all. Its like $20-$30 at napa, but I have to buy the thermostat with it and frankly, I don't like going down there unless I'm buy a whole bunch of crap :P