HybridZ

Front windshield removal-rust repair

madkaw

madkaw,

As a follow-up of what Chris just posted, here are pictures that illustrate the repair of the bubbles on the roof of my 83ZXT and some rust under the windshield (both corners). Not pretty but you all have seen rust before. I did not believe that it was this bad. There were other areas on the body of the car that were repaired.

MajorOuch.jpg

OuchPatched.jpg

UndersideofOUCH.jpg

Note the damage to the underside of the roof as seen above.

These are the component parts needed from Nissan or others. I purchased 3 of the four parts needed (Nissan). The chrome plate came off ok; the clips were broken (Nissan) and the plastic part as mentioned in a previous post was broken (Nissan) when removed. The glass came out ok but I plan to replace it with a new one (had my dd repaired recently - the man just cut around the edges with a tool and then two individuals pushed it out), which can be order from a dealer in Memphis.

Prepwindshieldparts.jpg

Hope this helps.

john

Edited: the rust under the windshield.

rustunderwindshield.jpg

Edited by jkh280zx
Edited & grammer...

Guest Rolling Parts

It's probably not discussed as a separate repair because rust in that area is usually repaired during a full restoration. The windshield is glued in and the plastic retainer strips that hold the metal molding on will need to be replaced too. Once you get into it you may find all kinds of damage in the structure in and around the lower lip of the windshield so at that point you're gonna have to strip, repair and paint anyway.

The windshield is ~$200 installed, the retainer strips are priced per ounce like gold at Black Dragon, and the repair/painting cost will depend if you have all the body repair and painting supplies already. And please don't just slather in bondo as a repair for a rust holes that you will find in this area because water tends to sit trapped for a long time behind the molding. As long as you've committed to open it all up, you might as well do the repair right when you get in there.

It's really nice to look through a new windshield without the 30 years of little nicks in it!

My plan was to use por-patch for the rust. I will clean her up the best I can,then use por patch to fill and stop the rust. It seems like the logical repair and I don't see any down side ,unless you guys can think of one. I have already ordered the gold plated molding clips(100$ for the pair). I can get a new windshield installed for 165$ incase I break this one. I bought a tool from NAPA that cuts away the seal, so i think I'm ready to attack the rust. Now I just have to get the daughter to give up the car for a couple of days so i can do this:mrgreen:.

well i just put a rust killer, then sanded the ♥♥♥♥ out of all the rusted area's the primed them, i cut all the jaged metal out an the used a fiberglass body filler an shaped it.........the to the paint shop it went. its held up great......but time will tell.

also back to what "rolling parts" was saying about finding damage around the windshield structure "SO TRUE" i had some spot's that i had to fix.

also try ebay for the plastic clip's i got them cheaper then black dragon.

chris M.

1981 280zx

1983 280zx