HybridZ

Formula 1 Split

wheelman

Well it sounds like the negotiations between the major F1 teams and the FIA broke down and they will go their separate ways.

I was just watching the F1 practice sessons on Speed and they opened the program with news of the late announcement last night the following teams intend to form their own series:

BMW Sauber

Brawn GP

Ferrari

McClaren

Red Bull

Renault

Toro Rosso

Toyota

I'm not sure what the beef is really about but apparently these teams are not happy with the proposed 2010 rules so are splitting with the FIA.

These teams will form the FIA series for 2010, at least according the the Speed channel:

Campos Grand Prix

Force India

Manor Grand Prix

Team USF1

Williams

I think this really sucks. It's worse than the IRL/CART split in the Indy Car Series.

There is too much money at stake. I don't they'll split, instead they'll compromise before the season ends. IIRC the rule changes for next year, primarily the budget caps aren't going over well with the big money teams. If that list above is correct then looks like the big money teams want to keep spending into eternity and the other teams with tighter budgets are in favor of the rule changes. I'm sure they'll come to some understanding with a higher budget for 2010 than was previously announced.

Edit: Here are the responses from some of the teams: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9521.html

CART and IRL are back together now but the catch was that they all run Honda motors... I think it was CART that was being the baby and called for that plan... To say the least I wasn't impressed because it was really kinda like F1 in the sense of it was a race against teams AND companies. You know like, Team Penske wins with a Mercedes engine and this chassis, only an example. :P

Never really found F1 to be welcoming to America though... I always rooted for Greg Moore in CART and then when he died I was like :/ meh. Died last race of the season, was supposed to race with Team Penske the next season, Castro. took his spot. Even though that was coming on 10 years ago, Castro. won Indy with Team Penske after having his butt bailed out. >_> Just saying.

I don't know the full details on this or anything but first thing that comes to mind is that those big name teams are bitching due to restrictions which is silly because aren't they trying to make the sport better to watch with close races? My opinion, that just goes to show that they know they have an advantage whether it be fair or unfair and they're too hell bound to give it up so that they can still win by you know like... 3 minutes from 2nd place.

I personally think this all breaks down into the saying "you have to pay to play" if you dont have a budget to run an F1 car competitively then dont go crying to the FIA saying that the other teams are spending more money then you.

F1 has some pretty ridiculous rule changes from year to year though, and I think the FIA screws with the rules too much. I understand there is a need to keep the cars slow enough that people aren't constantly dying driving them and that passing makes for better racing, but for all of it's rule changes in the name of promoting passing, there still isn't a lot of passing in F1. And they do KERS, but then limit the amount of power they can get from it? Isn't the point that they would try to further the development of kinetic energy recovery by allowing them to use it to it's fullest potential? And they got rid of ground effects cars and active suspension cars too. It just seems like the FIA spends an awful lot of time stifling the advancement of the race car in their premier series.

Not saying I want a split, but I think that the current situation isn't ideal.

The changes to F1 are pretty crazy from year to year but you have to figure there are reasons they are doing it. I don't think they keep changing them to just to change them. I know they are finding their race fields shrinking just like MotoGP and there is a fear that they are going to be too small to be entertaining. They are looking for a happy medium between keeping it fast, but also keeping it competitive for all teams.

I wish they would get rid of all the electronics. It is nice that the technology filters down to us, but racing was a lot more entertaining when you really had to have skill to drive and control the car. I know these guys are skilled drivers, but it was just so much more back in the 70's and even 80's when the men were separated from the boys.

Still playing children's games, eh wax?

Haha, thats like the third time!!! :) I think he really liked HBZ.

Anyways on subject. I think the rules kind of suck, Id love to see an all out racing series where you are basically limited to a set of rough guidelines. I really want to see the absolute best man can make.

Haha, thats like the third time!!! :)

Anyways on subject. I think the rules kind of suck, Id love to see an all out racing series where you are basically limited to a set of rough guidelines. I really want to see the absolute best man can make.

Basically a set of safety rules about things like the roll cage, firewall, stuff like that? Take a look at formula sae, there isn't much racing compared to a real race series, but there are some very cool things that go on, lots of unique designs. Example: University at Buffalo ran a modified briggs v twin with a cvt setup and placed 18th, most teams use a 4cyl bike engine with much more power.

I agree that it would be cool to see a full scale race series with similar rules, well minus the 20mm intake restrictor.