HybridZ

N42 head change to a P90

Hey guys I'm in the beginning stages of changing over the head on my car from an N42 head to a P90 head and I'm wavering on whether or not to swap it over myself. Assembling the P90 was easy and disassembling the N42 and components (like the intake and exhaust) will be straightforward as well but I'm scared shitless of the timing. I don't know how to set it up, I'm unsure of top dead center and how to coordinate the cam and crank but more than anything I'm totally clueless how to make the wedge to hold the timing chain and keeper. Anybody done this before? Pictures would be awesome as well as any sort of play-by-play. I'm pretty much a novice.

• 3 weeks later...

the Haynes manual is pretty good for the swap too in regards to timing and all that. it's really not brain surgery. be ready to buy a gasket set though, because if you do muff up your timing chain, you'll have to pull off the front covers to put it back on. especially with keeping the tensioner in place. It's a lot easier to swap, if you pull the engine from the car and put it on a stand. There's really just a few dots to line up, but becareful with your Cam, and you might as well replace all the seals while you've got it apart.

If you pull the engine, then Popping out the pistons and honing the cylinders and refreshing your bearings and rings is pretty easy. not to mention it's a good time to replace the water, and maybe the oil pump. A new timing chain isn't required, but if you've got it apart it's a good idea if you've got a lot of miles. these are 30+ yr old cars.

Phar