HybridZ

Can I have your feedback on quick steering knuckles?

Well guys, drifting seems to be exploding in my area with official events so I figured I would dabble in it or at least just give it a try. I already have suspension work, turbo, roll bar, as well as many other mods to my z. I know I still need to work on a diff, but my other concern is steering. I have looked into power steering, but that is neither cheap nor easy to get done.

My next look was into quick steering knuckles. I have seen a lot of discussion on the theory of how they work, but not much in the way of person experience in detail.

So please, if anyone has had long hours of hard driving on any quick steering knuckles for an s30, please, feel free to share your insight here.

Thanks.

I’ve had the Datsun Competition Parts “quick steering knuckles” (which are 10mm shorter than stock) on my 260Z for over twenty years and they are definitely a worthwhile improvement.

I have the same ones on my car and for about the same time period.

I'm happy with the feel. It takes a bit of hefting while parking if your not rolling but it's not too bad at all. I wouldn't change back to stock.

Derek

Thats a good start, but how does it feel in the car? Like, how does it help improve the car handling and in what ways. I would really like detailed responses so I can see if these would be a good investment to get for drifting.

So, you can see that they make steering response quicker at the expense of being a little heavier at low speeds. Other than that, it won't make any difference in handling at all. It's just a steering ratio thing. :)

So, you can see that they make steering response quicker at the expense of being a little heavier at low speeds. Other than that, it won't make any difference in handling at all. It's just a steering ratio thing. :)

Actually it negatively affects Ackerman. Maybe not a big deal in a drift car, but might be something worth considering for an autox or roadracer.

I am running 245x45x16 tires. I guess just like every other sport, it is very hard to set up a car for everything. I usually run auto-x so these seem like a bad idea, but I am also getting into the drift scene.

So it seems I should just suck it up and go to the gym?

we've got an auto-x 280z with a 350 in it with 25x12x15 r35 slicks and the short steering arms and it it just about impossible to move at 0-10mph, above that it is managable as long as you have been working out and haven't too much time in the car in the last week. going to the gym is probably not an option as you become too distracted with just turning the car and cannot focus on braking zones and how the car is working. I recommend power steering as that is what we are working on right now.

Aren

Comparing turning an 8" tire to a 12" tire might be a bit misleading.

Last time I checked these things were pretty expensive. What I'd be asking myself if I were thinking of buying these is how much money are you going to spend on them, and is there anything else that you could buy that might give you a better bang for your buck?