HybridZ

How to prevent people from backing onto my hood? !!!

Rodney240

Hey Z People,

I got a '73 240. I've been hit and run 4 times, and another one hit me when I was sitting in the car, so I got a check off that one, thankfully. We all know that our Z's are low to the ground, and today's cars and HUMONGOUS SUVS are towering above us in height. Each time I'm hit and run, someone has backed onto my hood and dented or gouged it....and I ain't talkin' a little kiss, I mean a wholloping smash into me. 4 Sorry excuse for people have done this and not one person left a note. nothin.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm getting my car outa the shop this week and I need to figure out a way to keep this from happening. Problem is....I live in the beach area and it's way way way dense over here and parking is very hard to come by, so cars park closely. If I come out and see a scratch or dent on my new paint job, I'm gonna blow a head gasket (on myself). Even if I got the standard Z bumper extender bar, they'd still back onto and over it cuz it's not high enough. Was thinking of welding something together that I could take off when I drive...put on when I park, but I can't imagine something removable would be strong enough to stop an ESCALADE with a crappy driver at the wheel backing into me. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS? I cannot afford to rent a special parking spot, and my apartment has no off street parking. I can't MOVE cuz i'm locked into a cheap rent. Was thinking of just getting a bright yellow plastic saw horse and putting that in front so it's a visual marker for crappy drivers backing up. A friend suggested that solution. ANY ideas anyone? THANKS Z FRIENDS....

it's a lil pricey but there's a company out there called Scytek that makes an alarm for automobiles that takes a picture as the alarm is being set off soooo theoretically if you mounted the camera in the car facing forward there's a chance you could get a picture of the vehicle that hit your car and more than likely a license plate number as well. Off the top of my head I want to say the model number I'm thinking of is VisionGuard 8500 but I may be wrong. It's pricey but then again repairing your hood isn't getting any cheaper either.

Easy solution. Just park far away from others! I usually find a lonely little space at the far corner of a parking lot, park face-in (the back of most cars is higher than the front) and hike. I will avoid parking next to a Hummer at all costs! Mini-vans (read kids and strollers) are to be avoided as are ladder vans.

I had the same situation with my old 260Z. I had JUST painted it and wanted to show it to some co-workers. So, I parked close and when we went to see it some A-hole had backed into the headlight.

Park far away and get your exercise. You'll get healthy and your car won't suffer!

If you are locked into your parking space as you describe. Get some cheap curb feelers or find a magnet mount CB antenna and stick it in an upward position to use as a noise maker or feeler to get the attention of the Hummers that wish to send you to the paint shop.

Orange safety cone.

I used to drop one in back of my service van when I worked in San Francisco. There people would park so close that I couldn't get the back doors open.

Keep it in the hatch and drop it next to the left front corner of your Z when you park. Might seem goofy but I bet it works, and it's cheap.

• 1 month later...
Orange safety cone.

I used to drop one in back of my service van when I worked in San Francisco. There people would park so close that I couldn't get the back doors open.

Keep it in the hatch and drop it next to the left front corner of your Z when you park. Might seem goofy but I bet it works, and it's cheap.

This is what I thought!

only get the tall tube ones. they have a good solid base thats removable. you could even add a ATV flag that you throw on when you park.

just a thought.......

I will be very careful when my Z gets back on the road. (stuck in body work Hell)

Guest Rolling Parts

The Z is a SMALL car;

that actually minimizes the chance of "contact" when parked if you do it right. Use small to your advantage:

1) The Z has no ass, so you don't need to drive all the way into a parking place.

2) If worried about being seen, then back into a parking place (again, not all the way to the front of the space).

3) The Z is narrow so that lets you adjust in the space (away from 2-door cars with long doors and closer to 4-door sedans).

4) Adjust to the situation.

a. Don't park downhill (lower) than a car with big doors

b. Don't park "with the wind" that will blow someone's door wide open

c. park between cars where both passenger doors face your spot

Sorry, a lot of simple stuff. I've been fortunate to avoid the usual "dings" by using these things over the years...