HybridZ

Dynomax x-pipe muffler? single vs. dual?

auxilary

wlk-17552_cutaway.jpg

anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of using this to have a single side exit (might be a tough fit where the original Z muffler sat) with dual exhaust and an X-pipe in one. Primarily looking to be able to squeeze out x-pipe functionality out of this, and restricting the system to 1 muffler at the same time. Obviously this isn't something that would fit in the center, and I'm not looking into running dual mufflers out on both sides- reasons are expensive and more weight, and fuel cell offset to the passenger side does not permit me to put an exhaust there.

On the same note, what are the thoughts of dual 2.5" pipes running into single 3" Y-pipe to 1 muffler out back? I already have a magnaflow straight through 3" muffler, so that may not do a whole lot of quieting down the car. This is the magnaflow muffler I have:

magnaflow1.jpg

magnaflow2.jpg

magnaflow3.jpg

For reference, this is for an LS1/t56 setup. Aforementioned dynomax muffler dimensions:

Case Shape Oval

Inlet Diameter (in) 2.500 in.

Inlet Quantity Dual

Inlet Location Offset

Outlet Diameter (in) 2.500 in.

Outlet Quantity Dual

Outlet Location Offset

Internal Construction Glass-wrap perforated tube

Muffler Material Stainless steel

Muffler Finish Natural

Case Length (in) 25.000 in.

Overall Length (in) 20.000 in.

Thickness (in) 4.750 in.

Width (in) 9.750 in.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also really interested in this option. I was thinking of coming out of the muffler with oval pipe on both side just in front of the rear wheels. This way staying away from the back and maybe helping the the fumes issue. If the pipe after the muffler is kept tight to the floorboards it might not affect ground clearence too much.

Thoughts?

That tip on the Magnaflow is what is going to make it louder than it normally would be.

As far as the x-pipe muffler, I have one on my 2000 Escalade and its mellow all the time until I smash the go pedal, then its another story....

On the same note, what are the thoughts of dual 2.5" pipes running into single 3" Y-pipe to 1 muffler out back?

Built the exhaust below for a SCCA T2 Camaro that made the pole twice at the Runoffs. This specific designed gained 20hp and 35 ft. lbs. over the stock exhaust with a proper "mix and match" ECU tune and CAI. The position of the X pipe and merge collector were critical. Don't run a Y pipe.

T2CamaroExhaust.jpg

Edited by johnc

wlk-17552_cutaway.jpg

Obviously this isn't something that would fit in the center,

Actually that should fit just fine in the trans tunnel under the driveshaft - you could run a pipe out each side in front of either tire.

Here is what I did with a similar custom-made piece for my turbo setup...

exhaust1.jpg

TIMZ, That setup looks perfect, how come the different types/sizes of pipe coming into the muffler. What size oval pipe did you use leqving the muffler? Do you know your final ground clearance numbers?

Thanks,

TIMZ, That setup looks perfect, how come the different types/sizes of pipe coming into the muffler. What size oval pipe did you use leqving the muffler? Do you know your final ground clearance numbers?

Thanks,

This was for a turbo setup - there is a 4" oval for the turbine outlet (downpipe), and a separate 2.25" inlet for the 60mm wastegate. They cross over internally very similarly to the dynomax piece shown above, and exit through two 3" oval pipes.

The exhaust is roughly even with the bottom of the frame rails. Towards the front where the wg outlet crosses under the trans it hangs down a bit more (maybe 1/2"), but this would probably not be an issue with a V8.

well, yes, I know what the pictures show, but I'm asking people's opinions on functionality of the built in "x-pipe".

I imagine its not much different than an external X-pipe, especially since the UltraFlo's straight through design.