HybridZ

High Flow oil pump

rztmartini

I was bored and decided to take apart the oil pump I took out of a 83 turbo-auto car, which supposedly has the high flow pump.

DSC_0105.jpg

auto-turbo pump on the left, N/A L28 pump on the right.

DSC_0106.jpg

you will notice that the cylinder is taller, that it does pump more oil per revolution of the inner impeller (if that is what you want to call it)

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

i just measured the smaller one in the picture and it is 35mm. i opened up another pump that i had laying around and it happened to be 40mm. in the picture, the bigger pump was pulled off of a 83 automatic turbo. if someone else measured a manual trans turb pump and it was also 40mm, then it seems that all turbo pumps are the "high flow" type.

if someone else measured a manual trans turb pump and it was also 40mm, then it seems that all turbo pumps are the "high flow" type.

You should not assume this just because "someone else" checked one pump from one car.

Your best bet is to check with Nissan and you'll see that the part number for the high volume pump was specific to the turbo automatics.

i did not "assume" anything. the other pump that i measured was not a H4 pump, just figured it was a long shot that i ended up with 2 of the high flow volume pumps when I thought they were somewhat scarce. jeffp said that his turbo one may have been 40mm, so i am just going off of his word.

so for the record, A M/T TURBO PUMP MAY OR MAY NOT BE HIGH FLOW, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN TELL IS TO MEASURE THE ROTOR/CYLINDER HEIGHT. THE EXTERNAL MARKINGS MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE ANY INDICATION OF ITS FLOW CAPACITY. I AM NOT MAKING ANY GENERALIZING STATEMENTS, JUST REPORTING WHAT I HAVE MEASURED.

The high-flow pump is not scarce at all...look at the later ('84+) pickup truck engines. Most Z24 engines have it, and most RWD KA24 engines have it. My local parts stores all carry original Hitachi, for about 100$.

Now that I am strait on the pumps. The turbo pump is the 40mm rotor assembly. This pump is no different then the turbo automatic pump as well.

I bought a millings M111 pump, it is the 40mm rotor assembly. I blue printed the pump and tightened up the rotor assembly tolerances by setting the end play to about .002 @ 270 degrees F

I could go tighter to about .001 and get better idle pressure. Remember all of my measurements were with the pump housing pre heated to 270 degrees, and then I took my measurements.

So Milling is the pump to get, they also have the M105 pump that has the 35mm rotor assembly.

I was thinking about adding another 5mm to the housing and rotor assembly, but that will take some welding on the rotors and an additional spacer at the base of the pump. I just have not had the time to play around with that test.

I like the millings pump much better as it is cast iron and not aluminum.