HybridZ

Carburated LT1 installation

Hi All:

I was wondering if anyone who has transplanted an LT1 could link me too some installation pics. Any advice as to clearance issues, exhaust or any glitch would be helpful. I am new to this board and will fill you in on where I stand. I have an LT1, removed from a 96 camaro and a T5 from a 92 Camaro. I am using the JTR mounting kit. I have converted the LT1 to carburator with a GM intake, petronix flamethrower distributor and a Rochester 4 barrel. I am using the LT1 accessory bracket with A/C and Power steering delete Pulleys. I have removed the oil cooler and plugged the waterpump fitting for it. I have removed the Optispark and installed a GM cover plate. I will be putting timing marks on the LT1 dampener. This dampener is 7.5 inches and JTR reccomends 7.25 inches or less. Did anyone have clearance issues? I plan on routing the cylinder head steam vents to the overflow tank of the cooling system.......I've read this works. I have also read that people have routed it to the heater return line. I was going to have the driveshaft set to the dimensions given in the JTR manual, 20.5 inches prior to the transplant to expedite things. My son thinks I should wait and measure myself. Have any of you found a large deviation from the JTR reccomendations? I found the power steering delete pulley from a thread on this board as well as other great info. As I said.........any photos, links, troublespots, advice would greatly be appreciated. This car currently has a 3.1 stroker with triple 45 webers. I use the car mostly for track days here in the northeast but am hoping for better driveability with a simple clean swap........so that I might drive the car more often.

regards

Paul Shakalis

Shakv

Sounds like you're on the right track so far.

I am running the stock dampener on mine. Its close to the rack but there is clearance, just watch when you install the engine, Slot the Datsun mount so you can move the engine forward and backward a little.

I don't know about running the steam pipe to the overflow, mine is plumbed into the heater hose. Although I did just discover there is a Camaro radiator hose the has a fitting built into the upper hose you could use, its expensive though.

I think your son is right about the driveshaft. It could get expensive if the dimension is wrong. One thing I found after I got it all installed is the JTR driveshaft adapter hit on my rear sway bar when I backed up. I just removed the bar. Just something to look for. I had no more than 1/16" clearance for the sway bar.

Shakav,

I agree with Deja and your son regarding the driveshaft.

I don't remember the exact dimensions for mine but it was much closer to 19" than 20" and I'm running the same engine/tranny combo you have. I set my engine as far back as possible so that might make up for some of the difference but I wouldn't risk it.

You're also going to have to deal with the hood latch now that you're running a regular distributor. It might clear but be ready to hack the hood latch off if it won't.

As for the steam vents, I routed mine into the upper radiator coolent return hose.

I think routing them to the overflow tank would be a bad idea, it'll fill the tank relatively fast with no way to get the coolent back into the radiator.

I also run the larger dampner and initially had no problem with it. I recently installed a Subaru PS rack which would not clear so I raised the front of the engine 1/2" by modifying the setback plates. It turned out very nice and made for better driveline angles. I'm not sure you could get away with doing that and still have clearance for your carb though, again it's something to experiment with.

Good luck on the swap and keep us updated on your progress. :)

Thanks for the reply. I will wait on the driveshaft.......was hoping to save down time. I bought a Tilton 3/4 inch master cylinder for the clutch.....retapped the output port for 1/8 pipe and installed an 90 degree AN fitting for a dash 6 hose. I can't seem to find the slave cylinder plunger........parts have been laying around for a while. I modified the slave cylinder per the JTR manual. I will have to fabricate my own rod. I will post updates.

regards

One thing to warn you about. Remove the oil pressure sensor from the back of the block before you start your install. These thing have a tendency to break rather easily, trust me on that. Depending on where you put the lift chains it can get hit by those. Plus its very close to the firewall and can just get hit during install. Its plastic and doen't take any abuse.

• Like 1