HybridZ

Early Model 240z R200 Swap issues

Canadianz

Hi all,

I currently have an early model 240z with a RB and a custom drive shaft (spicer u joints-1310 series) which was connected to a broken R180. I am trying to finish up swapping an R200 from a 280z in so I can drive the car.

I have the R200 moustache bar, half shafts etc....

So far I have found two issues after test fitting,

1. My drive shaft is too short (early 240z had a differnt length shaft)

2. The R180 flange on my driveshaft is different than the R200. The R180 output is square and the R200 is rectangular. (Output shafts are also non exchangeable between R200-R180)

1.Is there a correct positioning of the moustache bar which will make the diff line up correctly? If not issue I can remedy with a spacer.

2.Does any one know the correct part number for either the spicer yoke for the tail end of my driveshaft, or if there is another output shaft I can use. I tried my local custom drive shaft place and they had no idea after phoning around.

This issue has been rasied a number of times and I have found about 4 or 5 threads, however they all seem to trail off before after a solution is found, without a concrete yes/no and a # .

Any how kinda frusterated

Thanks

Chris Crombie

There is a possibility that you mount the moustache bar the wrong way. Could you post a picture of how it is mounted? You may need to get a custom drive shaft since you are running a RB combo. I hope some RB experts will chime in here.

About the differential flange, R200's from 1975 280Z have rectangular output shafts. You can get a square output shaft from another R200 (not 75 280Z) and it should fit fine. Some of the R200's have round output shafts and they should work as well.

Hi all,

I currently have an early model 240z with a RB and a custom drive shaft (spicer u joints-1310 series) which was connected to a broken R180. I am trying to finish up swapping an R200 from a 280z in so I can drive the car.

I have the R200 moustache bar, half shafts etc....

So far I have found two issues after test fitting,

1. My drive shaft is too short (early 240z had a differnt length shaft)

2. The R180 flange on my driveshaft is different than the R200. The R180 output is square and the R200 is rectangular. (Output shafts are also non exchangeable between R200-R180)

1.Is there a correct positioning of the moustache bar which will make the diff line up correctly? If not issue I can remedy with a spacer.

2.Does any one know the correct part number for either the spicer yoke for the tail end of my driveshaft, or if there is another output shaft I can use. I tried my local custom drive shaft place and they had no idea after phoning around.

This issue has been rasied a number of times and I have found about 4 or 5 threads, however they all seem to trail off before after a solution is found, without a concrete yes/no and a # .

Any how kinda frusterated

Thanks

Chris Crombie

Early 240's had the diff located forward an inch or so. If this is your case you will also need the curved rear crossmember that came on later 240's and all 260's and 280's to clear the back of the R200. All R200s are mounted in the aft position.

Check this site out...I used their driveshaft adapter flange for the 300zx r200 (its a spicer part I believe). I have a spare one...brand new if you want it ..$30.00 . I used a spicer 1310 joint..any driveshaft shop should have these Here is the site I ordered from

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DAT_driveshaft_flange.html

Thanks for the advice all...

Quicker: Ill check out that Nepco part if Drew's doesn't work thanks for the heads up!

Huy: I have tried the mustache bar in both configurations ... bar to the front and bar back. it seems to fit best bar back although there then is a 2 inch gap to the shaft. Even when flipped the other way it just about could work but there is not enough of the driveshaft biting into the tranny for me to be comfortable. The shaft was made to fit my RB25 + R180 combo a couple years ago..

Dan: Thanks for the advice, I will mount the Diff in the rearmost position that way I at least know I have one issue nailed down. I have tried about every permutaion I can think of and it hasn't hit anything ( front mount flipped both ways, bar flipped both ways) so I must have one of the curved rear mounts..

Drew: Pm sent Ill buy that joint off you

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris