HybridZ

240Z Rear Hatch Banging over Bumps

have a new weather strip all around, aligmnent of sheet metal is good all around the opening, all stock pieces in place, striker is adjusted as tight as i can get it and still slam it closed yet it sounds like the hatch is banging against the striker over sharp bumps. I have elongated the slots in the striker for additional travel to lower the striker as far as possible but still it bangs.

Ideas ?

The rubber bump stops are in place, as are the dovetails and down stoppers.

I also don't think the sheet metal around the lock on the lid is flexing on my car, its pretty stiff.

I have the striker adjusted so it just barely closes when closed forcefully. It's better than it was when i first started but still not acceptable.

There is a 1/4" hole about 4" down from the bumpers on each side on the body, not threaded. Not sure what is supposed to go there, nothing showing in the svc manual.

The down stoppers appear to adjustable only in the fore and aft direction. Service manual has a confusing description. First it says the there is only adjustment in the front / rear direction (using the slotted screw holes). Then it says there is 5 mm of up and down adjustment but i can't see how. There is just a polyethylene wedge that slides up and down in the channel with a return spring under it. You would have to change the bottom piece that supports the spring with a taller one to raise the engagement point.