HybridZ

RB20DET Swap into 280zx Q's

1. depends where you buy it from. most expensive/hardest part will be finding a rear sump pan to clear your subframe.

2. my rb26 temp guage sender works with the stock guage, not sure about the rb20 one. you could always use a rb26 one if needed. to use the oil pressure guage you need to use the stock sender. the speedo will work as there are mechanical speedos available with some rbs. i modified the cable to work with a rb26 speedo driver. the tach wont work unless you swap out the guts of an autometer tach into the stock housing. i am not sure if anyone has gotten a 280zx tach to work with an rb.

so to answer your question, yes you can use stock guage with rb swap, ihave all my guage working except tach, and that shoudl be working shortly as well.

again this all pertains to a s30 chassis im not sure if a 280zx is the same or not.

and a question for you, why swap in the rb20? you may as well find a l28et, much simpler and torquier motor. if youre going to swap an rb into that car iwould go for rb25 minimum.

Not to discourage you, but 90% of the reasoning for a “swap†is more power and increased reliability. An example would be an RB26 will do 500hp all day long like a stock motor, where the stock L28 would be living on the edge, if it were even possible.

Swapping in an RB20 won’t give you any gain over the L28 in simple turbo trim, and possibly can’t match the L28 in full-boogie trim with equal budgets.

There’s the cool factor of having an RB, but, and don’t take this the wrong way, serious players will only give you headaches. You’ll be forever defending your reasons for doing the swap.

If you can do all your own fab, or know someone who will do it for free, great! If you can’t and don’t, it’s going to cost a grip. When paying someone else, the cost of the engine is small change.

L28 has serious cool factor, too. I've got one in here now that's getting seriously worked for a pair of 3071R's. Long live the L.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...