HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

I'm kind of upset you're painting it, but more glad it's still alive! 

You're not the first to react that way. There's always the "you're painting over the carbon fiber??" reaction. 

So here's the logic: First, the CF work is ok, but we made no effort to ensure the weave ran consistently across the body. it's all over the place. And the molds have all kinds of small errors that reflect my original Z's body errors. It doesn't survive close inspection. It also seams against the few remaining steel elements like the doors and roof (safety!) And I wasn't into the idea of building some kind of raw naked-tech racer. 

The vision for the car is as a refined material and mechanical platform that reveals itself only upon close inspection. At first read it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares. The magic will be in how all the materials and technology reveal themselves as you open the doors, lift the hood, etc. For example the hood is painted on the outside...relatively normal looking right?... but lift the hood and ...omfg... underneath is a custom chassis, motor, and naked carbon inner hood surface. 

I think it'll work.

I like your thought process and vision of  "it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares" and all the surprise and magic under the deceivingly normal skin, it will definitely be a sleeper until messed with!  I'm really toying with the idea of leaving the exterior of mine just the way it is, faded stock butterscotch colored paint and white accents along the rockers with 240z script and then making sure the engine bay and interior is all new and glossy with an updated interior.  Why? sleeper, race car, camaro killer, etc...

I like your thought process and vision of  "it's just an old 1970s Z car, albeit shiny paint with flares" and all the surprise and magic under the deceivingly normal skin, it will definitely be a sleeper until messed with!  I'm really toying with the idea of leaving the exterior of mine just the way it is, faded stock butterscotch colored paint and white accents along the rockers with 240z script and then making sure the engine bay and interior is all new and glossy with an updated interior.  Why? sleeper, race car, camaro killer, etc...

You should definitely do this. Faded butterscotch just screams "old used sports car"

Mark, I'm with you on the idea. I've always been a huge fan of understated style. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

slow to post but a few weeks ago I took the car to Nismo Fiesta and the car won Best of Show. Pics from the show below. Warning- they are fuzzy. The camera lens was messed up. It also turns out red is hard to photograph. hmmm.

I had only just picked the car up from the paint show the day before so it was a rush to get it there. For the last few weeks I've been working on finishing up the interior and lots of small bits of refinement. A final set of pics will be coming soon. Then I hope to call the project finished and just enjoy the thing. It's been a ten year project.

28173496048_ab397efed9_h.jpg

28173493728_8235b339e6_h.jpg

40239443120_732ae74817_h.jpg

40239439180_ae3796853c_h.jpg

40239435350_1aeb97f3d8_h.jpg

40239432320_0524e09043_h.jpg

41146926345_7dd0962248_h.jpg

41146923715_5834d4d73d_h.jpg

41146915395_1f2fcd1e1b_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/943/40239399110_240591301f_h.jpg40239399110_240591301f_h.jpg