HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

On 5/2/2021 at 6:17 AM, markrolston@mac.com said:

thinking of opening a hole in the wheel well then fabricating a tunnel from there to these lights.

airflow.jpg

That could work to fill in the low pressure area at the back then again wheel wells are low pressure areas too. Tricky.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:17 PM, markrolston@mac.com said:

thinking of opening a hole in the wheel well then fabricating a tunnel from there to these lights.

airflow.jpg

The flow by the time it gets to the back of the car is a total mess.  If you want to extract a better option would be to create a vent behind the spoiler and wing to help extract any high pressure air. Ideally your duct would be on top of the tire somewhat forward of centerline.  This is where you'll see many of the fender louvers on race cars.  This could all be done and contained in a duct that can be bonded into the inner fender.  I'd run some pressure taps to see where the high pressure is and if the differential is enough either for the side exit to work or a rear exit.  You don't need to drill any holes in the car to do this.  Another option is to make sure you have the front of the tire/wheel combo not exposed to the airflow.  You can create spats or s-flaps that can be used to aid in extraction.

If you look at many of the Time Attack cars, the 911 RSR, etc you'll see that a lot of them just cut the bottom half of the fender off and leave it wide open. I have considered doing something like this, haven't committed yet because it's pretty drastic, but will probably get the itch one day and attack my car with a cutoff wheel (again).

http://www.dsf.my/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/porsche_911_rsr_2.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

On 5/13/2021 at 1:03 AM, markrolston@mac.com said:

thanks for the advice. I'll certainly do some testing first. Anything I do will first need to be subtle enough to not force a drastic change in the classic form of the car. I'm trying to tread a narrow path between modern tech and an old-school car.

Yes, we need the Z to still look like a Z so subtle changes that actually work are extra cool. If the car is configured to run air from underneath front to back and use it to improve aero, other than via the usual obvious diffuser, then that would definitely be extra cool. 

• 2 months later...

I got some serious track time last week. It turns out the turbos and downpipes create some serious heat on the hood, despite the open space in the engine bay. I'm going to have to wrap them and come up with a nice shield. Too bad since it looked cool uncovered.

Anyone going to Zcon in Colorado Springs this coming August? I'm trailering the car up there now that it's more or less finished.

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0705.jpeg

Z1.jpg

Zint.jpg

Edited by markrolston@mac.com
upside down pics

Mmmmmm, nice, what engine bay air extraction system does the car have? It's sooo important, both from a cooling and aero aspect to get that air out from there, at least as much as it comes in through the front. The design of which will challenge your original look requirement.

17 hours ago, 260DET said:

Mmmmmm, nice, what engine bay air extraction system does the car have? It's sooo important, both from a cooling and aero aspect to get that air out from there, at least as much as it comes in through the front. The design of which will challenge your original look requirement.

extraction: hood vents and the fact that the entire front end is just a tube frame. If that doesn't do it then down the line I'll put in some side vents and wheel well vents. But at the moment, I'm confident that basic shielding of the turbos will do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also love and appreciate your no BS approach to this. Also your note about expanding foam. Im going to be doing this now on my LS Build!!  I LOVE IT. What do you protect the outside portions of the engine bay when using expanding foam? Im thinking of making an engine cover with this approach.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, DonH said:

I also love and appreciate your no BS approach to this. Also your note about expanding foam. Im going to be doing this now on my LS Build!!  I LOVE IT. What do you protect the outside portions of the engine bay when using expanding foam? Im thinking of making an engine cover with this approach.

Use painters plastic sheets to protect everything. Even then it’s super messy. But it’s so cool to fab this way. I recall someone building a full custom dash by using expanding foam to make a form then shaving it down,