HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking I would use Garrett 2871s. But I have not really researched what dimensions will work with a 3.8-4.2L motor. Any advice folks? I first need to determine whether I build a smaller (3.5-2.7) high-rev VQ or a slower-rev, torquey (3.8-4.2) stroker. That'll be part of the turbo selection. As for the headers, there are none out there that position the turbos where I need so I will definitely have to custom fab them. The turbos will likely site high right next to the heads.

Friday Al and Jerry pulled the first part from the one-piece front end mold. Here's a quick picture fresh from the mold:

3777872416_d196a384dd.jpg

(the lines you see are leftover crap from the mold seams. The part is actually one smooth piece)

This first part is made of fiberglass since we didn't want to waste the expense on carbon fiber for our first sample part. It's reinforced with Klegecell foam to keep it stiff. It's very light and rigid. It's pretty cool to see a one-piece version of the familiar Z front-end but without the part lines.

Next steps for us are to fit and mount it to the chassis. I'm hoping to bring the car in a rolling state to the September Zcon in San Antonio.

well theres a bottomless pocket ;)

I'm blown away by this project.. and extremely jealous.

Great work sir

BTW - what seat are you using?

yes, I will admit to spending a bit on these projects. Most folks in my position go out and buy a new car. I chose to build old cars.

As for the seats, no idea yet. I may transfer the Sparco DTMs I have in the silver car into the new car. They are amazing seats. This decision is likely more than a year away. I may have enough money to do this project but only if I spread the effort out over a few years. I'm just now over 1 year into it so far and have at least another year to go.

That's looking great Mark, You'll have to let me know how that 1 piece fits over the HR motor. on my HR project, it's going to be a really tight fit. so much so I may end up shaving some of the ribs off the plenum, much less ditching the engine cover. I guess you don't have to worry about the steering crossmember though.

That's looking great Mark, You'll have to let me know how that 1 piece fits over the HR motor. on my HR project, it's going to be a really tight fit. so much so I may end up shaving some of the ribs off the plenum, much less ditching the engine cover. I guess you don't have to worry about the steering crossmember though.

I'm hoping to use the Jensen ITB setup with two custom intake plenums so will be able to control height a bit. But even then it's a tight fit. I will have pics of the clearance in a few days.

mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've been a poster for a few years in the RB section of this site. During that time I built and have been maintaining (breaking and fixing!) my RB26 240Z.

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html

But since that car is more or less complete, a few months ago I started a new project to build a car from scratch. It is based on a 240Z body but from there just about everything is custom.

This time I'm using a VQ35HR instead of the RB. It'll be interesting to find out which is better when it's all done. The RB is a monster motor but I'm hoping for less weight and more torque with my plan for a built, twin turbo VQ.

Anyway, I started a website to track all the progress. I'd love any feedback on the plans. It's been a slow start but exciting to build something so unique.

http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/New_Z_Blog/New_Z_Blog.html

best wishes,

mark

When are you going to let me come check out the shop and rMe a ride in the Z? Did Boost Logic help tune the car first car? They built my Lexus.

Tad

• 2 weeks later...

again, looks pretty good. I'm curious about the aftermarket intake plenums you had mentioned. how much clearance do you think you'll gain with them. Have you selected a radiator to use for it yet?

I might have to make the trip to that austin Zcon just to see this beast. I need to get a move on on my VQ35HR swap, but I've been letting my life get in the way.

Phar