HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

again, looks pretty good. I'm curious about the aftermarket intake plenums you had mentioned. how much clearance do you think you'll gain with them. Have you selected a radiator to use for it yet?

I might have to make the trip to that austin Zcon just to see this beast. I need to get a move on on my VQ35HR swap, but I've been letting my life get in the way.

Phar

I haven't chosen a radiator. That'll be way towards the end. I'm going to use Jenvey ITBs and make my own plenums to cover the horns. The key to clearance is to use curved horns rather than the straight horns shown in the ITB pics. Then I can make the plenum as big or tight as needed.

Have you checked out that Monzter Turbo Plenum thread, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127863

It's pretty cool, though I'm not sure how you could adapt a similar design for ITB, or for our Dual throttle bodies.

I guess I am I reading you correctly in that you're not going to use the stock throttle bodies and thus do away with the Drive By Wire, and need to research the changes in the ECU etc to make them work. Would those work with the Haltec system then?

I was thinking curved intake tubes similar to the Kenetix 03-06 intake, but much shorter with 3 oval shaped tubes feeding together to a round intake on each side that my stock TB's would mount to. Oval shape should keep a good flow, but still be flat enough that the clearance should work with the S30 hood. I was playing with the ideal of building something like Monzter's plenum attached to matched length oval runners. Flow may be an issue since it would cut down on the volume from stock. not to mention the added turns leading to the heads. I can draw some pictures if you're interested.

Phar

Have you checked out that Monzter Turbo Plenum thread, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127863

It's pretty cool, though I'm not sure how you could adapt a similar design for ITB, or for our Dual throttle bodies.

I guess I am I reading you correctly in that you're not going to use the stock throttle bodies and thus do away with the Drive By Wire, and need to research the changes in the ECU etc to make them work. Would those work with the Haltec system then?

I was thinking curved intake tubes similar to the Kenetix 03-06 intake, but much shorter with 3 oval shaped tubes feeding together to a round intake on each side that my stock TB's would mount to. Oval shape should keep a good flow, but still be flat enough that the clearance should work with the S30 hood. I was playing with the ideal of building something like Monzter's plenum attached to matched length oval runners. Flow may be an issue since it would cut down on the volume from stock. not to mention the added turns leading to the heads. I can draw some pictures if you're interested.

Phar

thanks. nice parts but I don't think distribution is much of a problem under pressure from a pair of turbos. With the engine draw from a normally aspirated setup it may be but as long as there aren't constrictions I'm going to be more concerned about volume than perfect distribution.

And yes, oval shaped, curved horns are what I'm thinking. A short curved pipe between the head and the ITB, then a curved horn will allow for plenty of freedom to position the plenum.

this is what I'm imagining (but better :wink:

3115846049_785472fe1e_o.jpg

3116673036_fb0dcb9fb9.jpg

Nice! Yeah I didn't know you were going the twin turbo route. That's going to be amazing. Very impressive. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I need to get an aluminum welding setup so I can build some manifolds. I liked Monzter's ideas in his turbo plenum. but you're right, under pressure, now much difference will the flow make in terms of power anyway. I'm thinking Balance might be the bigger issue. That's neither here nor there tho until you get to that point.

Keep up the build and putting up these sexy pictures. :D

Phar

• 2 weeks later...
thanks. nice parts but I don't think distribution is much of a problem under pressure from a pair of turbos. With the engine draw from a normally aspirated setup it may be but as long as there aren't constrictions I'm going to be more concerned about volume than perfect distribution.

And yes, oval shaped, curved horns are what I'm thinking. A short curved pipe between the head and the ITB, then a curved horn will allow for plenty of freedom to position the plenum.

this is what I'm imagining (but better :wink:

3115846049_785472fe1e_o.jpg

3116673036_fb0dcb9fb9.jpg

Looking good ;)

• 1 month later...
Looking nice, mark, Can you take a pict of the clearance you've got under that hood w/ the engine?

Phar

There is just over 4" clearance under the hood. I expect just enough for the intake. If you look closely, next to the oil fill spigot there is a paper cutout of where the ITB horns rise to. So we know it can fit. But even then we're considering just using throttle bodies for a simpler setup. With a turbo motor ITBs offer minimal gains. But they are still cool so I'm still kicking around the idea.

4121431824_dc80c43546_o.jpg

Awesome! Rockon! I was really wondering about that. I've been stalled on my HR project, kinda afraid of the fitament under the hood, but you've shown renewed hope that it'll fit w/o my having to cut down and reglue my plenum. Your project is so much cooler than mine. I need to get a hoist and get back to work on my car. I let it get cold outside, which is going to make things soo much more fun

I really apprieciate the pictures, you're doing an amazing job.

Eric

We got the door bars in and part of the front frame bracing. The door bars are low enough to still allow easy ingress but will require we move the door handle. Not really a problem. It's not like it's all custom anyway. I designed the door bars to fit neatly with the seat lines but be high enough to provide critical rigidity. The front brace is designed to be removable so we can get the engine in/out.

4133973841_581bb64d67_o.jpg

4134736018_8aa370eebf_o.jpg

4133973251_4b3cb9eff2_o.jpg

4133972905_8408185d21_o.jpg

That's really looking good, Mark, So that Dash, I guess is moulded the same as the hood. Your side bars look good, are you planning on doing jumps and loop-d-loops? Cage like that you'd probably be able to. hehe. JK, but really it should do well. I was looking at when I build my cage, to cut into the top of the door and put in a bar inside along the top just below where the window somes out, though I might have to use solid so it would fit inside the door panel. The bar would tie into the upper hinge, and have a catch similar to the Z32 at the door opening. this would provide a little more side impact protection though it's probably 20-40lbs more weight. It's a thought anyway.

I'm sur eyou know more about cages than I do though.

Phar