HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

here's a small update. We built a removable frame for the intercooler, radiator, and hood hinge. The stock Datsun bumper fits perfectly over the curved front tube. The front splitter mounts directly to the lower bars. Right now the frame is about to get powder coated, my other silver Z is getting cast again for the rear fender molds, and then we will start building up the body. Things should start moving a little faster ("faster" is relative though)

4440863400_2a47eee402_o.jpg

4440863252_f677e4ceb7_o.jpg

here's a small update. We built a removable frame for the intercooler, radiator, and hood hinge. The stock Datsun bumper fits perfectly over the curved front tube. The front splitter mounts directly to the lower bars. Right now the frame is about to get powder coated, my other silver Z is getting cast again for the rear fender molds, and then we will start building up the body. Things should start moving a little faster ("faster" is relative though)

Looks great mark. I'd love to see more pictures of the composite shell coming together. are you going with a single turbo or twin setup on the HR? Any manifold designs yet?

Looks great mark. I'd love to see more pictures of the composite shell coming together. are you going with a single turbo or twin setup on the HR? Any manifold designs yet?

I haven't begun on the motor. The plan is a custom twin setup going into a custom plenum. I have the flanges but nothing is started yet. The composite shell for the front is made but not mounted and we're starting the rear section. I'll have updates in a week or two on that. Things hopefully will move faster this summer.

mark

• 2 weeks later...

small update. I changed my mind a few months ago on the wheel design and so I've been working with an engineer at Boze to create a new wheel design. I sent him some 2D layouts and he's just sent back the first 3D center piece render to see if it looks right. The idea is to do a modern 18", deep dish version of the old banana/watanabe wheel design.

I should have a nicer render of it as a whole wheel in a few days.

Opinions so far?

4480581420_d9aff30659_o.jpg

4480581604_ece3787cb3_o.jpg

I like some of it, but (hard to tell from that angle) something looks funky with the lug hole provisions, as in unbalanced, perhaps just the angle? I am also more partial to the Rota, Panasport approach to the spokes curving them in the center of each spoke unlike the completely round tube style of say Konig rewinds. Just my two cents worth...

I like some of it, but (hard to tell from that angle) something looks funky with the lug hole provisions, as in unbalanced, perhaps just the angle? I am also more partial to the Rota, Panasport approach to the spokes curving them in the center of each spoke unlike the completely round tube style of say Konig rewinds. Just my two cents worth...

yup. I'm working on all of those issues. FWIW, I'm finding it's not so easy to design a wheel :wink:

I've done a little visualization on how it'll look on the car. I think it's the right general style and fit. Now I need to refine the spoke design.

mark

4484655747_b383d7c976_o.jpg

Way wicked design.... I'd dump my ccw's in a heartbeat for a set of those exact wheels. Love it!!! :wub:

yup. I'm working on all of those issues. FWIW, I'm finding it's not so easy to design a wheel :wink:

I've done a little visualization on how it'll look on the car. I think it's the right general style and fit. Now I need to refine the spoke design.

mark

4484655747_b383d7c976_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any insite on how they make the mold?

It almost looks like a sheet of fibreglass has been vaccumed on.

Are you keeping the fuel filler cap? Reason I ask is it looks like the mold is flattened out around the fuel filler rather then keeping the curve of the panel.

Any insite on how they make the mold?

It almost looks like a sheet of fibreglass has been vaccumed on.

Are you keeping the fuel filler cap? Reason I ask is it looks like the mold is flattened out around the fuel filler rather then keeping the curve of the panel.

The process is simple: we put a release agent on the body to make it easy to to remove the mold. Then we lay resin and fiberglass cloth on the body until its thick enough. Pull that and you have a mold. There are details but that's the gist.

The fuel filler door is being removed.. The fuel cell will be in the rear hatch.