HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

no real progress to report. Engine is torn apart and I'm ordering parts for it this week. we're doing a little port and polish on the heads, and looking at what we want to do for the block. There's not a lot of VQHR info out there. HR centric advice is welcome! For now here are 3 pics of the car sitting at Al's.

mark

5087409539_67e2c8832f_b.jpg

5088007116_c0d9036f94_b.jpg

5087410065_2c9544cf1e_b.jpg

Hey Mark,

I've gotten a lot of good info from the writeups from Forged Performance. Check out some of their posts on My350z.com. I've read enough that I don't want to take apart my VQ35HR unless I really have to. I've gotta give you kudo's there. These aren't simple engines. Yours is going to be a beast and a half, so you might want to talk to them about some of the work they've done. You were thinking Twin Turbo right? Have you worked out your custom intake plenum yet? How much shorter than stock do you think you'll need?

Keep the Pictures coming, I'm loving your progress!

Phar

I have been watching your build(s). I have been building a VQ35DE for a year now. I have found that real N/A power comes from the head work, cams, and a stand alone ECU, with the help of alot of compression. I am looking at 13.5-14:1 compression. All this is more important with dynamic compression and with the adjustable cams. I believe a real monster of a motor would be: VQ35HR block and heads, VQ40DE crank, custom K1 rods or Pauter rods (Both the lightest I can find), CP Custom pistons (13:1 com), E85 fuel or C16, 1000cc injectors, Haltech ECU and with custom JWT cams. I would port the heads alot, with over sized valves, then send them out to be extrude honed.

Hey Mark,

I've gotten a lot of good info from the writeups from Forged Performance. Check out some of their posts on My350z.com. I've read enough that I don't want to take apart my VQ35HR unless I really have to. I've gotta give you kudo's there. These aren't simple engines. Yours is going to be a beast and a half, so you might want to talk to them about some of the work they've done. You were thinking Twin Turbo right? Have you worked out your custom intake plenum yet? How much shorter than stock do you think you'll need?

Keep the Pictures coming, I'm loving your progress!

Phar

The plenum won't be custom for any height issues. It will be to do something that flows better and looks way cooler, which can be achieved in one design, especially when you have the space under the hood. Most factory motors are a compromise between performance objectives, part cost, and packaging limitations. I'll be less constrained. :wink:

And forged has little to no info on their site about HR motors other than plumbing a turbo onto a mostly stock motor. I still can't find anyone who's done a lot of internal work. But the basics are the same and I know where I'll get the parts so I'm generally confident at this point.

So Mark, how aout some picts of the HR internals, Anything you found particularly nice inside, or something that should be done differently? What sort of changes are you thinking? Your electronics are still going to be based on stock right? There's a lot that's known about the HR engines, but still there's a lot of questions.

Phar

• 1 month later...

so Any news, Mark? Coming up on 2 months quiet..

It's been slow lately. We got caught up seam welding the firewall so it's perfect and frankly it's taken forever. We are also going back and forth on designs for the hood hinge. Since the whole front-end tilts the hinge must allow the headlight buckets to clear the bumper when it swings up. That's a design challenge. We have a plan but it's been slow to resolve. On the engine front, after a lot of calling around it became clear that while many people advertised HR-based parts there were actually very few around. I did manage to buy some parts but most ended up getting made custom for the job (ie: valves & pistons). I'll tell the whole story once I get to a stopping point. The engine is apart, most of the parts are in, but it's now waiting on the head work and block work. We're also starting to look at dry sump solutions. There are DE examples out there but again, no HR version I have yet to find.

here are 2 random pics taken during this slow window.

5284116260_b9430938a1_b.jpg

5284116526_d7305d41e3_b.jpg

What differential and axles are you planning on going with?

The diff is done. I'll post a picture soon. It's a custom built ford 8.8. It has an Eaton LSD, and Ford Racing ring, pinion, bearings, etc. The stub axles are custom made from the driveshaft shop.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

What made you pick that differential? Not knocking the choice, just curious what your reasoning was since there's quite a bit to choose from.

lots of parts to choose from, ability to build it light and strong, cheap, and the right size/weight.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

Those custom stub axles on your diff, If you wanted to use the stock speedo, you'd need to have the toothed rings put on so the sensor can pick up your wheel RPM.

post-4150-029720100 1294329627_thumb.jpg

You're probably going custom on that too though I'm sure.

Edited by Pharaohabq

• 2 months later...

Again things have been really slow. I'm at a stage where we the car is at Al's Bodyshop and he's not moving at the fastest pace. That's sometimes the pain in building something so custom. It's not like there are many shops in Austin willing or even capable of helping me with this. It moving a little faster now. The hood works, I bought some doors for it, and we have the rear quarter panels ready to put onto the car. The engine is still in parts waiting for pistons to get made. slow slow slow.

5520260767_12ecc43559_b.jpg

5520852962_9fab2c8a4b_b.jpg

5520853180_59a2fc1c1a_b.jpg

5520853420_5df0b08fac_b.jpg