HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

Its too bad that your interior pieces will have nothing to do with the stock Z setup given the rather *ahem* different chassis that you have crafted. I'd love to pull a few fiberglass pieces off of your molds once they are done to do my own interior work off of, but no joy. I'll be doing similar work, but I won't be crafting for bare carbon, just old fashioned fiberglass.

Not sure what you mean. My center console, dash, and door panels will be the same dimensions as stock, just custom materials. The rear hatch area will definitely be unique.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a designer. I do ok. This project is expensive but altogether not a whole lot more than a nice car payment when you stretch the costs out as I have. It's all a matter of priorities.

That's a good way to think of it. You could either pay $1k a month for a new Corvette lease, or put that money into building something truly special.

• 2 weeks later...

The hood is finished. Today Andris and I pulled the hood out of the mold. It's amazing to see in person. It weighs only 22.5lbs and is extremely rigid. It's several layers of CF with a klegicell core. The surface looks nice but the weave placement is not consistent enough to leave naked. I plan on painting it anyway. Check it out:

6803170892_bb9216afd2_b.jpg

6957058403_d97fee0900_b.jpg

6957057823_09279a2337_b.jpg

6957057237_347d1cebdd_b.jpg

6810945618_9351b0f5fc_b.jpg

6810946244_a166b18147_b.jpg

6810946648_1cdbc35085_b.jpg

6810947178_dd7a9017c6_b.jpg

Wow Mark, More amazing work. Yeah I see where you're talking about how the weave didn't lay flat in a couple spots. It's still really pretty. You're doing such amazing work. It looks like you covered your Cowel ports, Are you not running any Wipers? or is that a later mod?

Could you post a couple picts of how your exhaust is routing back from your headers? I'm looking at having a 90 deg bend there which I'm not happy about either that or cusom headers. I know you made the tranny tunnel custom, so you're probably not going to have that issue.

Again your project is really looking amazing, keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more. Almost makes me want to go on a road trip to visit.

Eric

Wow Mark, More amazing work. Yeah I see where you're talking about how the weave didn't lay flat in a couple spots. It's still really pretty. You're doing such amazing work. It looks like you covered your Cowel ports, Are you not running any Wipers? or is that a later mod?

Could you post a couple picts of how your exhaust is routing back from your headers? I'm looking at having a 90 deg bend there which I'm not happy about either that or cusom headers. I know you made the tranny tunnel custom, so you're probably not going to have that issue.

Again your project is really looking amazing, keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more. Almost makes me want to go on a road trip to visit.

Eric

The cow ell ports are covered, but yes, i will run wipers. We will install them later but cutting whatever space we need. I hope to install the wipers so they disappear into the cowl when they aren't in use. Not everything is worked out :wink:

The exhaust isn't done yet. The headers will point up towards the turbos. The turbos will sit up in the V of the engine brace, the down pipe will need to turn 90, go straight down and then another 90 for the tranny tunnel. It looks like there's plenty of space.

Oh, and I'll be showing the car assembled at the San Antonio Nismo Fiesta in April.

Page 6-7 for the wiper hiding mechanisms. That guy's build is certainly "Insane" but I think Marks is much nicer, not to mention more up to date (2009, compared to now.)

San antonio Nismo festival. I wonder if it would be a good idea. My wifew will be within 2 weeks of her due date by then, so it's probably not a good idea for that road trip, but it's certainly tempting. Do you think you'll be mostly complets and hopefully running by then? That's not too far off. How's your electrical setup coming along? You were going Haltech right?

Phar

Page 6-7 for the wiper hiding mechanisms. That guy's build is certainly "Insane" but I think Marks is much nicer, not to mention more up to date (2009, compared to now.)

San antonio Nismo festival. I wonder if it would be a good idea. My wifew will be within 2 weeks of her due date by then, so it's probably not a good idea for that road trip, but it's certainly tempting. Do you think you'll be mostly complets and hopefully running by then? That's not too far off. How's your electrical setup coming along? You were going Haltech right?

Phar

It won't be done. Just a roller. Electrical is not even started. I plan on using the uprev setup with a stock ecu. I know those guys well. Otherwise I have a motech in the rbz I'd swap out.

As for the wipers, I'm looking at the single Mercedes wiper. And I don't like the trap door mechanism. Too complicated. I'll just leave a space for the wiper to hide. Maybe build the cowl cover into the wiper so it looks flush at rest. We will see when we get to it.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com