HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

Hey Mark, I was looking at how to model an intake, and This is what I came up with. Of course it would take a bit more tweaking.

post-4150-023916100 1340318597_thumb.jpg

post-4150-063584600 1340320543_thumb.jpg

I was using the PTC Creo Elements (FREE VERSION!) to make the model. I spent maybe an hour kludging this one together. here's the files as it stands:

Intake design.zip

You may not be interrested in going this way especially because printing something like this would have some challenges due to the size. (Mainly having to slice and glue.) Though a lot could be done on the design side internally and it would hardly look like it wasn't a single piece since tolerences would be tight.

Phar

3D printing certainly is an option but to make it a CF part means I need to be able to remove the material once it's wrapped, and the printer plastic would not be so easy to extract. The foam is relatively easy to remove. I am also integrating interior aluminum horns, which is why there is an aluminum plate on the inner side of the plenum.

Mark, Kind of late but it's nice to find your build on here. I've been checking in on your blog for years but the updates are somewhat random (time wise) where this is very frequent. Wish I had found this sooner. Love the new build!

Mark, Not a problem, I was just thinking this might be another way to make things. My drawings were just an example, but 3d printing could make the plenums and integrate the horns as well, though you're right, The CF would not be so easy to do. Certainly it's your project so however you're want ing to do it is your choice. I was just trying to make suggestions. I love what you've been doing, and if I had the time and budget, my HR build would be much nicer than it is.

• 3 weeks later...

some really cool news to share as well- one of the guys in my studio has a long history in the automotive industry (he was the project leader for the Porsche GT) and he shared my plenum design with the Ferrari engine design team just to get some advice (good friends to have!). I got word back this week that they think the plenum design looks just right for the engine and it's purpose.

Kinda cool to get the thumbs up from such esteemed sources.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

Looks pretty nice. Uhm... I know stupid question, but how do you get the clay and foam out w/out cutting the pretty CF up? oh wait! the metal where the intake tubes will come off right? How many layers of CF are you going to use? I imagine you'll need a few since your turbos will be pushing 15-20 psi right?

Looks pretty nice. Uhm... I know stupid question, but how do you get the clay and foam out w/out cutting the pretty CF up? oh wait! the metal where the intake tubes will come off right? How many layers of CF are you going to use? I imagine you'll need a few since your turbos will be pushing 15-20 psi right?

at least 3 layers cold and bagged. likely 4. then we cook the assembly in an oven to cure them above engine operating temps. That makes the material stable at those temps. Then one more layer for aesthetics. It'll hold way more pressure than what turbos can produce.

yes, pull the aluminum flanges and the internal foam and clay is accessible. not too hard. internal walls will be smooth.

then those flanges will be welded to the tubes and horns and the assembly bolted back to the CF plenum body with a gasket seal. The inlet has an aluminum tube so we can weld a flange to this to bolt on the TBs.

• 2 weeks later...

The oil sump position all the way in back meant the lines were too long. It will now be on the passenger side in the engine bay. The plenum is coming along. Here's a first shot of how it will sit atop the engine. Lastly the diff is now installed. Up next is the finished plenum, intercooler, radiator, and turbo plumbing.

7697871184_9b0839b854_b.jpg

7697870110_af1c2865d6_b.jpg

7697868930_bf57424bc5_b.jpg

7697872146_e18b59c0fb_b.jpg

looks really nice, How's your hood clearance? In that position will you have room to be able to pull out an ignition coil if you need to replace a plug? with the Irridium you shouldn't often have to but I don't know how well it'll run w/ the turbos. It's looking awesome though. Will the intake tubes before the TB's come up straight from the Turbos? With the depicted width I'm not sure of the angles and clearance for your belts / turbos at the front of the engine.

looks really nice, How's your hood clearance? In that position will you have room to be able to pull out an ignition coil if you need to replace a plug? with the Irridium you shouldn't often have to but I don't know how well it'll run w/ the turbos. It's looking awesome though. Will the intake tubes before the TB's come up straight from the Turbos? With the depicted width I'm not sure of the angles and clearance for your belts / turbos at the front of the engine.

Hood clearance is tight but we trimmed the tops of the original foam plenum mold to clear the hood so any further shaping would still fit within. The plenums are completely clear of the coils. The turbos are on the sides of the engine (see older pic) and so the charge pipe runs low and forward to the intercooler, then out of the intercooler straight into the TBs as shown in the mockup render. And yes, it'll all clear the belt assembly easily.

The whole engine bay is pretty open and easy to package within since there are no inner fenders to contend with.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com