HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

Hey Mark,

Any News? Specifically on your HR install? Have you chosen a radiator? What Dash are you planning on using?

Phar

It's been slow because of money and some processes were waiting in line (get a mold of this before removing that before building the...and so on...) But I promise a big update soon. The wheels are in production now. I expect them in July. I'm bugging the manufacturer (Boze) for process pics but no luck so far. Right now we're working on the firewall and floorpan. Andris is fabricating a firewall and tunnel and Al will come in after to seal it all up with a klegicell and carbon fiber bed that covers the interior firewall, floor, tunnel, and rear area. Once we have the firewall shaped we will also be ok to lift out the motor (it's in for fit) and open it up and start to plan what we want to do to it. So far the thinking is pretty simple- change out the rods and pistons to make it stronger, look over the heads for any needed improvements, and then fab up a dry sump system. On the outside of the motor we'll fab up the intake plumbing, headers, turbo mounting, charge pipes, oil and water plumbing, etc. At that point we can start looking at radiators and intercoolers and other general engine bay crap. Also in parallel I'm hoping we'll be able to afford to take the frame and get it powder coated and get the body blasted to prep it all for bodywork. Maybe by fall it'll look less like a dune buggy and more like a car.

mark

That's cool, thanks for the update, I can't wait to see the rims. For the tranny tunnel and firewall, you're accounting for Exhaust piping too, or are you going side discharge? I'm interrested in your dry sump ideas, since we know how tight the HR's fit will be.

Phar

• 3 weeks later...

I love what you are doing with this project. I just wanted to let you know that a company named Dailey Engineering makes an oil pan and oil pump together for a dry sump system. This system is really whaat you should looks at, it is art work.

http://www.daileyengineering.com/dailey_engineering_home.htm

https://www.fontananissanracing.com/Dry_Sump_Oil_Pan___Pump.html

I love what you are doing with this project. I just wanted to let you know that a company named Dailey Engineering makes an oil pan and oil pump together for a dry sump system. This system is really whaat you should looks at, it is art work.

http://www.daileyengineering.com/dailey_engineering_home.htm

https://www.fontananissanracing.com/Dry_Sump_Oil_Pan___Pump.html

I'm aware of that solution but I believe that it's currently only available for the earlier VQ's and not the newer HR's that I am using. The bottom end is very different.Until then I plan to make something similar, just without all the pimp billet pieces.

a small update...The wheels are in production and look to ship next week. This picture is one of the billet center-pieces. It hasn't yet been sand-blasted, drilled for bolt-holes, or mounted to the dish.

It's an adventure creating a wheel from scratch. I have only hope that the final product looks like I imagined it would. And thanks to Zak at Boze for helping me through this process.

4769242619_2198c753c5_b.jpg

I don't know what you plans are for finishing out the interior, but if you want to leave it bare and keep it clean looking it really helps to measure out your spot welds. When we build cars we actually have marking templates for this. Car is looking great keep us updated!

I don't know what you plans are for finishing out the interior, but if you want to leave it bare and keep it clean looking it really helps to measure out your spot welds. When we build cars we actually have marking templates for this. Car is looking great keep us updated!

The steel is there for fire safety but there will be a layer of klegicell then cf over this so im not so worried about weld look. Bur thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The steel is there for fire safety but there will be a layer of klegicell then cf over this so im not so worried about weld look. Bur thanks.

Very cool, that is going to be one stiff car. How thick are you laying the Klegecell? Seems like things will start to get heavy quick.

Keep the pictures coming!

Very cool, that is going to be one stiff car. How thick are you laying the Klegecell? Seems like things will start to get heavy quick.

Keep the pictures coming!

Fair concern. But I plan to use it sparingly and it's very light material. I haven't weighed it all but I hope to keep it and the interior cf under 10lbs. The car is crazy light now so I can afford a little in the name of NHV and a nice looking interior.

I have a pile of new pics but I'm traveling. Looking forward to posting in 2 weeks.

Mark

The wheels are finished. It's so amazing to see a the final wheel. I started this as a simple Adobe Illustrator drawing, then turned it into a CAD rendering, and now I have a completely original wheel. This project has been a blast. Making a custom car is hard, but it's possible, even down to the wheels. Here's a pic from Zak at Boze, the company that made the wheels. There are shipping today. I'll share pics of them mounted on the car next week.

mark

4877984765_3ed196e8e1_b.jpg

The wheels are finished. It's so amazing to see a the final wheel. I started this as a simple Adobe Illustrator drawing, then turned it into a CAD rendering, and now I have a completely original wheel. This project has been a blast. Making a custom car is hard, but it's possible, even down to the wheels. Here's a pic from Zak at Boze, the company that made the wheels. There are shipping today. I'll share pics of them mounted on the car next week.

mark

4877984765_3ed196e8e1_b.jpg

Droool! hehe you think they'd make me a set too? I wonder who retains rights to the wheel pattern. now that they've made one it's a lot easier to reproduce them.

Droool! hehe you think they'd make me a set too? I wonder who retains rights to the wheel pattern. now that they've made one it's a lot easier to reproduce them.
Who is producing the wheels for you? Are you going with a 3-piece, 2-piece? Are they going to offer the wheels/pattern to the public? As always your projects are top-notch...
do i sense a group buy/vendor thread in the works?

You guys do realise that this is not a wheel that will easily fit most Z cars right?

5 stud for starters, plus he doesn't have our suspension getting in the way as well. Yeah it looks great, but getting it to fit a standard s30 may be a little harder then you think.

Edited by garvice