Cross-country prep

Which engine?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine?

• l24 as-is
    • l24 rebuilt
    • l28et as-is (fresh turbo)
    • l28et rebuilt (fresh turbo)

I also got a 5spd from a Datsun truck that I'm really hoping fits. Anybody know a good way to check the gear ratios or model numbers on them?

Yeah the 5x in my D21 91 nissan hardbody has really crappy gearing for the freeway. I'm revving 3500 in 5th at ~70MPH. I'm not sure it would be a good choice for you for a cross country trip. I don't know where your Tranny came from, but I think the Nissan pickup trannies are all lower geared.

I have a pair of t3/t4 hybrids en route to me, I just haven't decided if I want to keep one as a spare or sell one to cover some of my build costs. I'll be putting up a big pile of s30 parts for sale pretty soon as I clean out my garage from parts leftover after gutting and making decisions as to what to keep.

Now I'm off to play around with Autodesk Inventor - it looks promising, and I THINK I can make something to mount up those 450cc injectors.

You might get ahold of Derrek on here, He's the guy who made his own EFI horned manifold. it's freaken awsome, but he already designed EFI fuel injector holders, tapped for lines. Check these out:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129941&page=18

I think it's cool anyway...

Phar

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the 5x in my D21 91 nissan hardbody has really crappy gearing for the freeway. I'm revving 3500 in 5th at ~70MPH. I'm not sure it would be a good choice for you for a cross country trip. I don't know where your Tranny came from, but I think the Nissan pickup trannies are all lower geared.

What rear end do you have? I'm running the ~3.3 rear end, which is pretty tall, so I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong here) I'll be a little lower than that, around 3200 in 5th at ~70mph. I think that'll work out just fine.

You might get ahold of Derrek on here, He's the guy who made his own EFI horned manifold. it's freaken awsome, but he already designed EFI fuel injector holders, tapped for lines. Check these out:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=129941&page=18

Those are just weird. I'm not sure I understand the advantage of running long lines directly to the injectors, I'm planning a plenum-style rail, more like this:

aem_fuel_rail.jpg. Still, I definitely think it's worth contacting him, if only for wiring/resistor information.

"I need to decide where to mount this boost controller. I'm thinking I'll put it in the center console, in the switch panel. That way I'll have 3 switches: Fuel, Spark, Fan, then the boost control knob. Thoughts?"

You should keep the lines to your boost controller as short as possible, I recommend installing it on the fender by the turbo.

Holy Turbo Batman!

I knew it'd be BIG, but damn....

Since you're doing an extension tube, you'll have a nice spot to weld an external wastegate too! Then you won't have to worry about cutting the stock manifold, and you can get it welded up without even removing the manifold, which saves time and headache.

+1 on keeping the boost controller lines shorts. That being said my buddy Adam in his STI has his inside the cab. He's also running a dual controller setup though so I'm not sure how it relative it really is (stock is electronic, he'd have to tell you the details himself as to why he added the manual, I think it solved his creep issues or something).

Holy Turbo Batman!

I knew it'd be BIG, but damn....

Yes, sir. It sure is. The second one is coming in soon.

Since you're doing an extension tube, you'll have a nice spot to weld an external wastegate too! Then you won't have to worry about cutting the stock manifold, and you can get it welded up without even removing the manifold, which saves time and headache.

That's the plan, I can also have it made out of stainless then, and don't have to worry about trying to match steel types.

+1 on keeping the boost controller lines shorts. That being said my buddy Adam in his STI has his inside the cab. He's also running a dual controller setup though so I'm not sure how it relative it really is (stock is electronic, he'd have to tell you the details himself as to why he added the manual, I think it solved his creep issues or something).

Yeah, almost definitely electronic actuator that switches between two manual boost controllers.

New stuff. Wheel studs are installed, but the lugs the car came with were the wrong thread pattern (I wonder how the studs got stripped... hummmm....), and the fresh ones I have that fit the thread pattern are too fat for the lug holes in the wheels. Next chance I have, I'll pick some up. Anybody have suggestions for good, strong wheel lugs?

I know it's been gone over many times before, but these Toyota calipers with s12-8 casting have two 43mm pistons and two 33mm pistons, they're visibly obvious. They mount right up in the stock location if you trim/remove the dust cover. I think I'll just remove it unless someone has a compelling reason not to.

2009-08-07%2012.36.09.jpg

2009-08-07%2012.40.07.jpg

Tank is cleaned up and emptied of dead dinosaur remains.

2009-08-07%2012.36.58.jpg

It's not going to be on the road for the meet tomorrow, but it's getting there quickly enough that it's realistic to hope that I'll be driving around this week. Hopefully I'll get to see at least some of you guys tomorrow!

DP, If I remember the correct studs are 12MM - 1.25mm per inch, most of the after market 12mm studs are 1.5mm. you'll probably need to by studs and lug nuts. American 7/16" aren't going to fit.

Jim

You do remember correctly, I verified it today. 12mm - 1.25mm, and Kragen didn't have a set that looked like it'd fit. I'm going to have to take a wheel down to a shop and get something I'm SURE will fit, what a pain in the arse!

Picked up some parts at the BBQ/Meet today, I'll post pics soon.

New injectors (450cc DSM, 275cc DSM, stock l28et, new 480cc replacements):

2009-08-14%2012.37.52.jpg

Injector sheet:

2009-08-12%2017.48.00.jpg

New set of springs (compared to stock)

2009-08-14%2012.26.21.jpg

Smaller wastegate and t3 -> t3 flange with a wastegate flange on the side:

2009-08-14%2012.24.55.jpg

One of the strut tower bolts on the front has loosened itself from the spring cap, so turning the nut on the strut tower just rotates the bolt. I tried cutting a notch in it so I could get a little leverage on it with a screwdriver, but no luck. It's pretty seriously stuck on there. I suppose I can just cut all the way through the nut, and that's probably what I'll end up having to do.

• 5 months later...

Definitely missed the original deadline, but there's been a ton of progress. Poly bushings are at my house right now, waiting for me to get out of work. The 480cc/min injectors are in, and I'm now considering doing an l28ett build (it'd be nice to get some feedback/comments on my site, if anyone has time).

I've just finished sourcing my megasquirt 2 v3 setup, and have the transmission assembled, hooked up, and ready to go. I added a 280zx-t driveshaft in place of the heavy 240z driveshaft (I imagine the 280zx-t driveshaft is a lot stronger as well, but don't know for sure). My r200 is sitting behind the car, ready to go in, and I just started molding some interior pieces with the carbon fiber I ordered.

So. Progress. Lots of progress. It's still not finished yet though. Hopefully soon. The weather isn't exactly right for a cross-country trip in a turbocharged 240z anyway, though. Looks like Spring is the new timetable.

• 3 weeks later...

Just so nobody's confused, I'm still driving cross-country, and still doing it in a 240z, but in a different one that's been through a shakedown period (of sorts). I just sent the downpayment on it this week, but I don't actually pick it up (or see it in person) 'till I fly in on Mar 29th. I'll definitely post updates once I get there.

I can promise more reliability and fewer miles per gallon for the trip.