HybridZ

MAG58's DOHC L28 Build Log

MAG58

For those of you looking for more pictoral detail, this is a flicker of someone that did a nice entire rebuild on his M104.990 (3.2L) cylinder head, including the Mercedes fix for the infamous head gasket problem Mercedes is known for

And the last picture of the turbo M104, I've talked to him personally as he lives about an hour west of me. That car hauls for a 4400lb beast. It runs right at 18psi on 93 octane. Completly stock block except for a shim to bring the motor to 9.2:1 comp. It's right at just north of 455 whp with peak torque right in the middle of his 6500rpm redline. IIRC he's been DDing the car for close to a year now with no problems besides having to go to the 722.6 V12 auto since it'll nuke the stock auto.

• 2 weeks later...

Must.....look...away...can't afford...a rust free car...much less dream over something like this XD.......damn college (you may make me a college drop out yet =P)

Great job, I hope you get everything working together. Who knows, maybe this would be a somewhat attainable way for people to get DOHC heads on the L-engines...then suddenly all the arguments about building up a L6 is pointless because its a "non-crossflow head" would suddenly become null and void XD. Good luck!

Must.....look...away...can't afford...a rust free car...much less dream over something like this XD.......damn college (you may make me a college drop out yet =P)

Great job, I hope you get everything working together. Who knows, maybe this would be a somewhat attainable way for people to get DOHC heads on the L-engines...then suddenly all the arguments about building up a L6 is pointless because its a "non-crossflow head" would suddenly become null and void XD. Good luck!

It would be cool, still be expensive, may or may not require a lot of work to get going, and could be done easier with other inline 6's that would be less time/money to fabricate and install, and in the end, you still don't have the famed Nissan or OS Giken heads that people drool over, because they're original items from the era.

However. I want to see this running, and if it does run, I want to see more of them happen because that would just rock.

I feel you all believe that this is going to be an all out balls to the wall, slobbering monster. I'm just trying to get a head the L28 for cheaper than the price it takes to do a full port and polish on a standard L head. Then it would be economical enough to consider. If that's the case, all that money you had to dump putting a different motor in there could be used for useful things, like turbo's and bottom end ;).

All that aside, I'll have updates when the engine is running, and probably a how-to. There are too many people here who feel this is a sensitive subject to just be gradual about it. That said, The DOHC L is going into a different project (just you wait) Because I'm attempting to put the whole M104 in my 240Z, it's just too pretty to say no!.

I think your intentions for this project are perfect though. Going all out on something so experimental seems risky. I've always been a fan of progressive projects as long as you don't have to backtrack your money too much, redoing what's already been worked on.

Plus keeping the head stock for now gives others interested a ballpark number to expect for the effort put into it.

An if you can REALLY get the whole project done for less than a port job on a L series head, then that means it's also cheaper than swapping in some of the common DOHC inline 6 engines available, which actually makes it look like a promising budget performance project for those willing to put forth the effort.

I'm more than anything else interested to see how everything buttons up once it's all in the engine bay, if use of unmodified manifolds work etc etc.

Keep the project rolling though. I think it's safe to say you have the attention of a lot of people, nay sayers and those cheering you on alike.

Don't let the nay-sayers keep you from posting, post away. If anyone gives you trouble then the admin staff will be happy to help you out with them. That is the point of this site after all...

Let this be a pre-emptive warning to those that feel it necessary to ♥♥♥♥ all over someones ideas without being constructive. We will come down on you.

Edited by Drax240z

• 3 weeks later...

I guess i don't understand, but why not just use the entire Mercedes engine?

The amount of custom work here is immense, for someone to do "just because"

you would need as much money in custom parts as it would cost to put in a stock 1jz-2jz or RB and make the same power/weight

very cool project though, i am definitely interested in how it turns out.

I guess there's a bit of an unspoken challenge as to who can get the most out of the L-series block - torque, drivability, raw HP etc etc. all different aspects.

Plently of ppl have put more money in modifiying L-series heads alone than a RB transplant would cost combined.

MAG - i heard you say elsewhere than you aren't posting an ongoing build due to criticisms... excuse the french but F%#k that. We demand updates!:flamedevi

-pete

The amount of custom work here is immense, for someone to do "just because"

you would need as much money in custom parts as it would cost to put in a stock 1jz-2jz or RB and make the same power/weight

very cool project though, i am definitely interested in how it turns out.

Not always the case though. Fabrication if you have the tools is mostly just labor intensive. Modifying OEM parts to work can costs even less. Look at the L31DETT by 1 Fast Z. He claims (and I believe him) a very absurdly low cost for his build. He spent more on his turbos and EFI than he did building the head, intake, and exhaust by my guess. But if you were to count his hours, his head would cost more than most people's car on here.

A 2jz will always cost the going rate a 2jz. Custom fabrication is all in the skill and time of the fabricator. So you have to run external cooling and head lube, so what. It's not like that hasn't been done before. Complicated? Yes. Justifiable? Maybe.

I'd really like to see this project done though, because it still sounds interesting. I'm also still wondering if running completely external cooling and oil is necessary, or if just some simple rerouting might turn out better, and allow use of a stock water pump to simplify things.

He said in another thread that it's on hold, and that it'll be going into a 810 or similar, since he's got the parts for a ~3.4-3.6L M104 build for the same cost as a L28et (which, btw, I hate him for, since I've been thinking about that)

Yeah I happened to read that thread right after I posted *doh*

I hope he get's this to work though, it could open up some interesting possibilities in the future if it doesn't cost too much money. Then again, with the amount of money people spend on maximizing the L-series heads, I'm thinking this would probably be pretty cost effective if you can do a lot of work on your own (minus some of the stuff that pretty much has to be done at a shop unless you happen to own your own shop =P)

I feel you all believe that this is going to be an all out balls to the wall, slobbering monster. I'm just trying to get a head on the L28 for cheaper than the price it takes to do a full port and polish on a standard L head. Then it would be economical enough to consider. If that's the case, all that money you had to dump putting a different motor in there could be used for useful things, like turbo's and bottom end ;).

As a side note, my roommate's 2JZ head was sitting on a bench at the house and Bob and I were talking about seeing if the 2J head would fit on an L28 because the cylinder bores are so close. So, I grabbed an old gasket from the shop and slapped it on there.

Unfortunately the L28's cylinders are spaced out farther so the 2JZ head is too short.

Can't wait to see the 3.6 AMG swap done Bawb!