HybridZ

Do I want to fix my heater? (A cost/ benefit analysis).

dhp123166

Hello,

I have a '76 280z AC coupe that I have routed the coolant out of the heater as the heater vacuum cock and the heater control valve w/ capillary tube leaked.

I have a new vacuum cock and a used control valve to replace the defective parts.

The molded hoses are 5 years old so they should be good to go.

I have alot of wiring underneath the console and the heater cover.

I live in So. Cal. so I have lived without the heater for the past two "winters".

Defrost is definitely a thing to have.

Everything else on the vehicle is fixed and maintained.

I don't really want to do it because of the pain in the butt factor but I got nothing else to do and I am kind of fried.

What would you do?:icon56:

Those are both excellent ideas. The stock blower does work and I have it wired to an aftermarket switch at off-on only.

That computer fan idea has real possibility.

To implement both of those I think I would still have to gut the stock heater and AC unit which is not in use anyway and I do like to get rid of stuff which is extraneous to operation.

I guess what I am trying to ascertain is pulling the stock heater as big a pain in the butt as I think it is?

The service manual kind of makes it look doable but I've looked under there and it looks cramped and tight and no fun at all.

Conventional wisdom says that it's a headache inducing job and I would tend to agree...

Now I just did an online search and saw something cool, "A dashboard fan or ceramic heater that is 12v and plugs into the lighter. It has cooling and heating capabilities and defrosting as well.

It was given 5 stars and costs all of $17.99.

Doesn't get much easier than that...

I'd say its worth it merely for the accomplishment of doing something...

I would probably go with the dash heater idea....except I would hard wire it with a switch/relay.

The computer fan idea isn't bad either and wouldn't require a relay for hardwiring safely. I know I have a bunch of 80's, but I probably have a few 120mil comp fans in a box somewhere if you want them....

Yeah exactly although now I have a new project I am going to run my injector wires along the fire wall and over the rear of the engine as opposed to stock over the manifold, so this heater thing will take a backseat...for now...

I live in So. Cal. so I have lived without the heater for the past two "winters".

:icon56:

I went through the same decision process. My mechanic said to just bypass the heater rather than go to the expense of paying him to do the job.

Then, I thought about the times I used the extra circulation of the heater system to keep the radiator from overheating in stop & go freeway traffic on really hot SoCal days.

I stayed with the factory set up and considered the expense to be money well spent.

Dennis

Then, I thought about the times I used the extra circulation of the heater system to keep the radiator from overheating in stop & go freeway traffic on really hot SoCal days.

LOL...Been there....I had the same problem on the streets in Enoshima (Japanese beach village) in Aug.

Wife was none too happy being in a car with no A/C, in 95+ degree weather, ugly humidity, no air movement as we were stuck in traffic....with the heat on high to keep the car from overheating......

Pulling the dash out is not that difficult. You have to be careful with your wire connections. Whichever direction you go, try to have a plan for exactly what you want to do. I knew I did not want AC, but really need a defroster for the late evenings coming back from car shows (that is the plan). I removed everything, and installed a Flex a lite Mojave heater with a plenum to direct heat to the defroster vents. I am working on all my wiring now, I will post more details on my members project page.

heater_install_1.JPG

I know here in PA you can't live with out a heater. Even when I was driving to Zdayz a month ago I needed the defrost for the rainy morning. I think you will miss it if you don't have it. It may not be some thing you use a lot, but when you need it, you need it.