HybridZ

rt260, BMW M Powered

Interesting choice of EMS Ron. What drove the choice?

Im looking at sourcing a Euro S50B32 from the UK for my project and I really dont want to deal with all the factory harness and EWS issues. Ive done some research on ECU's that will run the dual Vanos system and so far MoTec and Wolf are the only two that have experience.

BTW Wolf is only five minutes from my place so they win on convenience, MoTec is only another 5 minutes but cost is nearly double and I really dont need all the features that comes with the MoTec M800.

David.

• Administrators

Interesting choice of EMS Ron. What drove the choice?

Stop by Wolf, say "Hi" to Robbie, and ask him who Ron Tyler is. He'll probably kick dirt, and growl "One of my stubborn US dealers", or something similar :-)

Im looking at sourcing a Euro S50B32 from the UK for my project...

Cool! I was hoping you'd go for it.

Went and saw Robbie this morning, he laughed.

Didnt realise you were a dealer, excuse my ignorance.

David.

Yah, my mind had already formed the phrases "What, is it gonna be a megasquirt?" in sarcasm before scrolling down, and then "Big Surprise" while scrolling down to read Ron saying just that himself. :lol:

• Administrators

Will you be putting up the drawings for those mounts? Looks even easier to make than your RTdiff mount. (assuming you don't go for the swiss cheese look)

What? No one likes my light weight mounts? :mrgreen:

But seriously, you'd be surprised how much weight dropped off. In 'solid' form, they're way overbuilt for the job.

As far as drawings... they are virtually complete. I just haven't decided when/how they will be available. The only thing I'll say at this time... they will not be publicly available until after this car is running.

EMS decided on and aquired...

v500.jpg

Big surprise, eh? :P

Nice work Ron. I know we all like the Wolf systems, but what mods to the engine are you planning that requires stand-alone? If you're keeping the motor stock (which will make that 260Z fly for sure), why not just use the stock ECU? Or, is it too tightly integrated with the rest of the vehicle electronics so that it is not worth the effort? Or, are you saying that you can tune a BMW I6 better than the engineers at BMW :D ?

Pete

Edited by z-ya

Or, are you saying that you can tune a BMW I6 better than the engineers at BMW :D ?

I've never heard of any factory car that didn't have more to squeeze out. They factor in a safety net. They also tune the economy side to be "clean", not so much of a "gas sipper". A good comparison is how the smart car with the same HP in the UK gets 20% more mpg.

Lets also not forget that just the deletion of a CAT would probably require modifying the stock tune to not throw codes.

• Administrators
... is it too tightly integrated with the rest of the vehicle electronics so that it is not worth the effort? ...

Pete

That is precisely the reason why. :blink: He was going to try and use the OE EFI system which I also removed from the M3. The more I dug into my car and researched the cars electrics after removing the engine and EFI, the more I found that the BMW EWS-II system, (BMW's antitheft system post '96), is a nightmare to work with. There is an antenna in the ignition switch that reads the chip embedded in the key. The key is "matched" to the BMW ECU which is electronically/digitally "aligned" to the EWS-II module, separate of the EFI ECU. When an ECU dies, getting a new one installed requires the dealership to realign the ECU or it wont run! In short, Ron would need one of my keys, (more on that below), an antenna from a BMW ignition switch surround, the EWS-II module from my car, (which also has my control control integrated into it), and a few other hurdles to jump through. The pre '95 cars with the EWS-I are not as intricate, but still use the same key/antenna thing.

Regarding the BMW keys, as I understand it, (I could be wrong on this as the info is hodge podge of book and internet crap I read and based on my experience acquiring a spare key, I believe it could be true). BMW produces a set number of extra keys for each and every E36 that rolled of the assy line, a couple go with the car, the rest are put into a vault of sorts. If you want/need a new key you have to go through BMW, you can't just have a key made at any locksmith. When I bought my M3 it had only one key. I went to BMW to get another one, had to present my drivers license and vehicle registration to prove ownership, (photocopied and sent to BMW NA office), then took my $70 and 3 weeks later I was able to pick up my spare key from the BMW parts counter. :unsure:

I've never heard of any factory car that didn't have more to squeeze out. They factor in a safety net. They also tune the economy side to be "clean", not so much of a "gas sipper". A good comparison is how the smart car with the same HP in the UK gets 20% more mpg.

This is better explained by the fact that the imperial gallon has almost exactly 20% greater volume than the US gallon.

This is better explained by the fact that the imperial gallon has almost exactly 20% greater volume than the US gallon.

I wasn't actually even comparing spec sheets from each, but rather what people are actually getting, accounting for the difference in gallon quantities.

But I'm not going to derail one of the best threads on the forum, so I'll just leave it at that.

• Administrators

why not just use the stock ECU? Or, is it too tightly integrated with the rest of the vehicle electronics so that it is not worth the effort?

Exactly. I touched on it a little in post #4.

Or, are you saying that you can tune a BMW I6 better than the engineers at BMW :D ?

Not at all.

I am saying, however, that I have choices no OEM has. I don't have to build a mass produced tune, for a mass produced engine, driven by clueless and inattentive owners. I don't have to manage my risk with a conservative tune because two million people aren't going to drive it. I am in a position to closely match the tune to this specific engine. Keep in mind not all engines are *exactly* the same. Even BMW reserved thier 'best' motors for the LTW cars. They didn't build 'special' engines, they mearly hand-picked them from the mass produced lot (and fitted them with alpha-n :P)

Additionally, standalone opens a few doors... turbocharging, cams, cam timing, intake, exhaust, etc. I haven't committed to how far I will go with this engine, but I want the choice.

Im totally with Ron on this.

Ive done a lot of research and while the factory ECU will provide faultless performance that will maximise the torque and driveability it also comes with its compromises and practical installation issues.

From what I can gather the Vanos on the exhaust cam is primarily there to meet emissions and is configured to provide an internal EGR function and adds little in the way of performance. Agree also with Ron that an aftermarket ECU also opens the door for further modifications and less conservative AFR's that should deliver better than factory max power.

David

There is a lot of untapped HP potential out of any OEM tune, remember they are always conservatively tuning with the balance of fuel economy, emissions and performance in mind. If you are willing to forgo one or two... well... :D

If my memory serves me, we saw 20rwhp/20ft-lbs out of a similar spec BMW engine with a (VERY good) chip on the dyno... and a chip is just another type of generic tune. More gains to be made over and above a chip by a stand alone.

I kinda feel sorry for Ron. He had a decent intake from the get-go. He didn't have the pleasure of taking all the CIS parts off the motor, piling them up, and watching them burn. Ok not quite to that extent, but close.

Cant wait to see it done Ron. If anything it's forcing me to get my rear in gear.

Cant wait to see it done Ron. If anything it's forcing me to get my rear in gear.

Mag's Merc Zcar vs Ron's BMW Zcar. That is a match I would like to see. Would be great to take them both to a zcar.com meet and pop the hoods. HA.

Sorry for the disruption, looking good and awaiting more guys.