HybridZ

rt260, BMW M Powered

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Thanks guys. Quickie update-

M50 manifold conversion complete.

Battery, starter, and alternator are wired.

ECU mounted.

Water temp sensor, water temp sender, air temp, crank sensor, VANOS, TPS, oil pressure sender, air regulator, and canister purge are wired.

All downhill from here. Guessing about 30 or so hours left...

I own a 87 BMW 328IS and cant wait to see this finished.. ive always thought the six from the Bimmer would be a natural in the z.. but i have to say all the work you putting into this is a little..... ok waayyy beyond me. This transplant is not for the faint of heart.. nor shade tree mechanic im thinking...

Your actually the head NASA mechanical/electrical engineer!!! i knew it!!

Keep the pics coming and hope it fires up the first time!!!

Edited by phantaz

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

First run...

Running it off the same map as the L28, with some overall fuel trim. Needs a lot of work of course.

Got a handful of loose ends to address and it will be ready for it's maiden voyage.

Good lord Ron,

Now that I'm done worrying about medical school:

Your 260 makes me want to get off my ass and start on my 240

Paul's E36 makes me want to go make the w201 completely un-usable as a 4 door sedan.

Cliff notes: I hate you both :P

Congrats on the 1st start however!

• Administrators

Engine wouldn't shut off with the key. Hate that. Put a diode on the alternator field wire. Fixed. Probably end up re-pathing the field wire as to not rely on the diode.

Been arm wrestling a finicky crank sensor. I didn't want to use the BMW sensor simply because they are bit expensive and not praised for reliability. I built a simple adapter to mate a Honeywell GT101 Hall sensor. I can buy one for the motor, one for the glovebox, and still have $50 left over. Over a couple day's of futzing with this sensor, it was becoming obvious that it wasn't going to work as-is (intermittent trigger errors and an overly picky air gap). Stuck the trigger wheel on the Birmingham and turned it into a 30-1 wheel (stock is 60-2). Quick reconfigure of Wolf and.... perfection. No more trigger errors and the gap is no longer ultra-sensitive (useful window was within .020", and now it's over .100").

Took the car out for it's first drive. Just a few blocks and no 'angriness' (sorry Drax/Cygnus, it's coming). Even with no tune time, It's WAY torque-ier than an L-series... and it's far too loud :wink:

After the 1st I should be able to start getting serious about tuning :burnout:

Engine wouldn't shut off with the key. Hate that. Put a diode on the alternator field wire. Fixed. Probably end up re-pathing the field wire as to not rely on the diode.

Been arm wrestling a finicky crank sensor. I didn't want to use the BMW sensor simply because they are bit expensive and not praised for reliability. I built a simple adapter to mate a Honeywell GT101 Hall sensor. I can buy one for the motor, one for the glovebox, and still have $50 left over. Over a couple day's of futzing with this sensor, it was becoming obvious that it wasn't going to work as-is (intermittent trigger errors and an overly picky air gap). Stuck the trigger wheel on the Birmingham and turned it into a 30-1 wheel (stock is 60-2). Quick reconfigure of Wolf and.... perfection. No more trigger errors and the gap is no longer ultra-sensitive (useful window was within .020", and now it's over .100").

Took the car out for it's first drive. Just a few blocks and no 'angriness' (sorry Drax/Cygnus, it's coming). Even with no tune time, It's WAY torque-ier than an L-series... and it's far too loud :wink:

After the 1st I should be able to start getting serious about tuning :burnout:

Interesting note about the CkPS. Friend and I had a GT35R Fed Built S50 running Tec3r (From Vic Sias) that had so many issues with the crank trigger/sensor. Basically it boiled down to the Tec3 not wanting to play nicely with the BMW sensors.

That sounds like a good solution to the issues. However, we went back to stock engine management with a TRM Chip for on the fly tuning.

Edited by Pzary3233

• Administrators

Interesting note about the CkPS. Friend and I had a GT35R Fed Built S50 running Tec3r (From Vic Sias) that had so many issues with the crank trigger/sensor. Basically it boiled down to the Tec3 not wanting to play nicely with the BMW sensors.

That sounds like a good solution to the issues. However, we went back to stock engine management with a TRM Chip for on the fly tuning.

Electromotive gives you three choices... 60-2, 60-2, or 60-2 :mrgreen: Wolf is pretty flexible with triggers. Not too much it can't be configured to. Of course the downside is some extra complexity. It's all a trade off.