HybridZ

rt260, BMW M Powered

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

:oops: You guy's are too kind.

My stock tachometer had become sticky on the top end and the stock speedometer isn't readily adaptable to this conversion. Time for new gauges. I liked what I was seeing from Speedhut, so I rolled the dice. Conveniently, they build a GPS speedometer. Since there are no speed outputs on the ZF transmission (electric or mechanical), this made things easy...

SpeedhutsBox.jpg

SpeedhutDay.jpg

SpeedhutNight.jpg

GPS antenna...

SpeedhutGPS.jpg

Drove the car into town and ran a few errands. The speedo worked beautifully. Time will tell how well it works in more challenging conditions.

To get the car up and running, I used a stock Datsun EFI pump and regulator (with the stock carb'd tank). The intention has always been to re-vamp the whole fuel system when I was ready for another project. It's looking like I'm going to have move that project's priority up a couple notches as I am running out of duty cycle around 5500rpm (due mostly to the lower fuel pressure).

This is awesome. Just sold my m50 powered e30 car (Im sure u know the m50 is based off the s50 with much less power). That car was a blast to drive. This though, this will be an absolute blast. Much respect for pulling it off. I know you will love it.

Good job!

• Administrators

Thank you, Matt.

This post isn't so much about my Z, but rather a fellow enthusiast. Katokid and I have been talking off and on for a while now, and his project is quickly approaching critical mass. He's one-up'd me by a good margin... a Euro spec 3.2L...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/97688-s50b32-euro-m-powered-240/page__gopid__917221#entry917221

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Finally wrapped up the exhaust. I added one more Magnaflow (2.5") in the stock location. This helped greatly with the resonances, but it's still too loud for my tastes. Great for a track car, but a little extreme for a daily driver. Excuse the filthy car. I'm guessing it's been over 2 years since it's been washed :oops:...

RearMagnaflow.jpg

I took the car out for its first lengthy trip, 70 miles, highway and city, mountainous and flat. Not a single hiccup or fuss...

First stop was the weigh station. I took it to the same location as before. The car is complete (complete as in fully assembled in like fashion as before, not done :wink:). There is a gas station about 3 blocks from the scales. In both cases I refueled before weighing and removed all non-relevant items (tools, fire extinguisher, coats, etc). The car is now 20 to 30 lbs LIGHTER than it was with the L6. 2420lbs dry. Double the power and less weight. I can live with that :mrgreen:

Also on my list was to get the car out, stretch it's legs, and look for driveline vibrations. Backing up a bit, I've driven a LOT of S30's, in all sorts of configurations, and none of them have been silky smooth. I've tried many different things and made improvements, but I have never been totally successful with squelching them. Since this car has no U-joints (in the driveshaft) and I spent a good deal of time on alignment, I have been hoping to put the vibes to rest. We'll, I think I did. This is the smoothest Z I've driven. Certainly FAR smoother than it was prior to the swap. I'm gonna check that nuisance off my list, finally. I would still like to swap out the half shafts for CV's. That should finish off the package nicely.

Got a lot of tuning out of the way as well. It's beginning to run as expected. Of course it's all the fine tuning that takes forever. I really need to upgrade the fuel system before I spend too much time on it, though.

Lastly, Brian of Z Car Customs sent me one of his early ZG-R CF rear spoilers. It was a blem and priced accordingly, but it still looks pretty decent as-is. I'm not a huge fan of raw CF appendages on street cars, so the plan has always been to paint it. I'm very pleased with what I got. Thanks Brian!

ZGRSide.jpg

ZGRRear.jpg

• Administrators

How's the ZF 5 speed feel, is it a nice box with the remote shifter?

It's a very easy transmission to get along with. It shifts easily with two fingers, the gates are easy to find, and its just as happy shifting at 7K PRM as it is at 2K.

I have three complaints...

1) The throws are long. Measuring at the top of my shift knob there is about 5" of throw front to back. There are short shift kits floating around. They move the lower pivot downward, closer to the driveshaft. I remember checking the clearance while assembling, but I don't recall how much room there is or if there is enough for a short shifter kit. I will probably just lower the shift knob about 2" and call it done.

2) In the shift lever itself there is a large spongy bit of rubber. I don't care for the way it feels. I'll remove it at the same time I lower the knob.

3) The overall gearing is short. 5th is 1:1, not an overdrive. I'm using a 3.36 diff which helps, but short tires (~22") so I'm seeing 2980RPM at 60MPH. It's not horrible, but could be better.

• Administrators

Awesome Ron, just awesome. I've driven lots of Z's, and lots of M's, and without even driving it I can imagine how great a match this is. Good on ya for tackling this one!

You're going to drive it in July :wink:

2) In the shift lever itself there is a large spongy bit of rubber. I don't care for the way it feels. I'll remove it at the same time I lower the knob.

ZHP shiftknob is a big improvement as far as stiffness goes, and about 1" shorter overall.

You're going to drive it in July :wink:

Hopefully I can reciprocate with something nearly as interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ron I just picked up a Getrag 217 out of a 2007 Z4 3.0si. It's only got 14k miles on it and it has very similar gearing to the standard ZF 5 speed, except that it has 6th gear with a .85:1.

I still need to get the clutch and wheel for it, but considering that I won't be using it for a while because I'm horrendously slow about working on my car, if you wanted to try it out I wouldn't mine...especially considering you'd need to fab up custom mounts and probably a completely different drive shaft for it too :lol: Ya know, minor stuff.

Anyway, I found mine at a B&R for about 1200. Considering that I'm gonna be running the diff out of a Q45 with its 3.54 gearing, it's definitly needed so I'm not winding the heck out of the engine at all times.

Also, if you're just looking for a shorter throw...

schaltwegeco1.jpg

That may be helpful. I could go find ya one if you'd make me some engine mounts ;) I'd throw in a beer too!

• Administrators

Hi Thomas, Ive been wondering what you've been up to. Great to hear you are moving forward!

Hey Ron I just picked up a Getrag 217 out of a 2007 Z4 3.0si. It's only got 14k miles on it and it has very similar gearing to the standard ZF 5 speed, except that it has 6th gear with a .85:1.

The .85 would surely be welcome. Cannot deny that. I know Katokid had some thoughts on the 6 speed... looking forward to his feedback.

I still need to get the clutch and wheel for it, but considering that I won't be using it for a while because I'm horrendously slow about working on my car, if you wanted to try it out I wouldn't mine...especially considering you'd need to fab up custom mounts and probably a completely different drive shaft for it too Ya know, minor stuff.

I smell what you're stepping in :-) Thank you for the offer, I'll give it some thought.

That may be helpful.

Very! I wasn't aware there were that many derivatives.

I could go find ya one if you'd make me some engine mounts I'd throw in a beer too!

I've had a few requests for mounts. I'm kicking around the idea of a small run. Naturally, beer inspires me :wink:, but I want to address my fuel system before I get too side tracked.

Speaking of which, I wasn't planning on posting anything until I had it fully wrapped it up, but we're here so...

I've had this Paxton pump sitting on my shelf since '98 or '99. I was tempted to implement The Beast, but I needed to make sure it was still serviceable. I lubed it generously and fired it up... no go. Motor spun at a snails pace. Because I'm still twelve at heart, I decided it was of dire importance to dismantle. Lying on the bench in many piece's (beer in hand), it dawned on me that the housing was very usable as a surge tank. Without the motor and pump, it was still a fully sealed and maintenance friendly part. Slightly heavy, but... um.... free (I think :hs:). A little machining and a trip to Oil Filter Service of Portland, and...

PaxSurge1.jpg

PaxSurge2.jpg

PaxSurge3.jpg

PaxSurge4.jpg

PaxSurge5.jpg

It's tough to see in the last picture, but the plate at the bottom, is not actually the bottom. The large central hole drops down into another cavity about 1 1/2" tall.

Internal volume is approx. 1.25 pints. A Datsun pump will feed the 'Paxton' surge tank and a Bosch 044 pump will pull from the surge tank and pass the fuel to a C5 filter/regulator at 4 bar.

Sweet, glad you were finally able to get it going!

A friend of mine who owns a BMW always knocks my Z cause he thinks the BMW is superior in everyway. I showed him this thread of your build a while back and it blew his mind haha. He couldn't even fathom that such things were possible :o hahaha.

The .85 would surely be welcome. Cannot deny that. I know Katokid had some thoughts on the 6 speed... looking forward to his feedback.

I had to make choice regarding which gearbox to use as I had both available.

The Getrag 6 speed (model 226 from the Euro E36 M3) is renowned for being extremly strong, its virtually the same gearbox as used in the TT Supra's and we've all seen the monstrous HP pumped out of the 2JZ's and the gearboxes handle it very well. They do have some down sides though.....

• Bigest issue is they are not serviceable, you can't buy parts for them from BMW. As far as BMW is concerned if you have a problem you buy a new box. They can be repaired but again are renowned for being difficult to work on and even more difficult to secure parts from Getrag. Only a few specialsts will tackle repair work.
  • I havent driven a car with one but general opinion is they arent as nice to use as the ZF, they're tough but baulky.
  • They are heavier and with the extra gear they are about 3- 4" longer which means you will need to fabricate new mounting points in the tunnel of the Z, no big deal if you are happy to go that way.

Here's a link to an online BMW parts catalogue which shows the only parts available from BMW for the Getrag 217 out of a 2007 Z4 3.0si http://bmwfans.info/...l_transmission/ and its the same for the other models fitted with Getrag's as well.

In the end I chose to go with the ZF 5 speed ....

• Its a nicer box to drive.
  • Easy to work on and buy parts.
  • Lighter and it aligns perfectly with the Z crossmember mounts and this is significant for me as it means I dont need to fabricate new mount points in the tunnel. My car is an earlyish 240 and Ive got all the orginal running gear and want to keep the conversion to a strictly bolt in affair so I can revert it back if I ever wanted to. Not much chance of that happening but its always in the back of my mind.

Will I miss an overdrive 6th gear.....possibly but Im not really interested in top speed and long hauls on the open road. I will gear the car for good acceleration and acceptable cruise RPM's.

Edited by katokid

]I havent driven a car with one but general opinion is they arent as nice to use as the ZF, they're tough but baulky

You are correct, the ZF is a wonderfully shifting transmission and I particularly loved mine in the M3. The Euro gear box feels very much like an R154, more "truck like". I wish there was a way to keep it rather then going to the T56/TKO/T5 variants.