HybridZ

rt260, BMW M Powered

Looking good Ron. I can definitely understand your reluctance in not wanting to move the transmission mount (since you have the later style mount). I just had to do it for my 300zx transmission in my 260z and while it wasn't overly hard, it did require a lot of patience and will not be a reversable change (not that I will ever go back) without a lot of work. The 240z mount would make it so much easier as it would just require a different crossmember.

Edited by garvice

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I decided to abandon the surge tank, and go with an in-tank pump/sump.

Part 1:

Bosch 044 pump, -8 filter sock, and check valve with -6 outlet. Return is also -6...

Sump1.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Sump3.jpg

Sump4.jpg

That looks SO COOL!

I question, and don't take this as a, "I think I know more than you" style question, because I don't, but, don't ya think you may have over baffled it?

I mean, there's no way fuel is gonna leave that thing under acceleration or turning...but won't it have a bit of trouble getting back into it?

Or do you have that baffle box sitting lower than everything else? Or am I just getting way too caught up in what might happen with crazy low fuel levels?

• Administrators
don't ya think you may have over baffled it? I mean, there's no way fuel is gonna leave that thing under acceleration or turning...but won't it have a bit of trouble getting back into it?

I don't *think* so. Can't prove it yet though :-)

As far as fuel entry, I'm way over sized compared to many OEM's. Take a look at the single small inlet in this BWM E36 sump (it's only about 1/2" tall)...

E36Sump.jpg

If you start tearing apart factory cars, you'll see this is pretty common.

One car I discovered that uses a similar principle is a Honda S2000...

S2000Sump.jpg

It's proportionally different, but it still makes use of the same method of trapping... four "C" shapes, aligned 90 degrees to each other, with a (nearly) full height corner inlet.

Or do you have that baffle box sitting lower than everything else? Or am I just getting way too caught up in what might happen with crazy low fuel levels?

It is at the bottom of the tank, flush with the floor. As far as "crazy low fuel", about the only way to run reliably with truly low fuel levels is by incorporating a surge tank or swirl pot. I just didn't want the complexity of two pumps and their plumbing. If I achieve modern OEM function and simplicity, I'll be happy.

Is the pump sitting on the bottom of the sump and the springs holding it upright?

Does this stop the fuel from entering the pump, or do they suck from the sides of the pump, through the bag?

Do the springs offer any benefit over building the sump a little taller and bolting the pump to the sump?

- Perhaps noise transmission from pump to tank to outside?

or

- Less vibration on the pump bearings?

• Administrators

Is the pump sitting on the bottom of the sump and the springs holding it upright?

Does this stop the fuel from entering the pump, or do they suck from the sides of the pump, through the bag?

The filter is roughly 3/8" tall. It has framework inside to keep from collapsing. The springs are holding the pump down against the framework (of the filter).

Do the springs offer any benefit over building the sump a little taller and bolting the pump to the sump?

- Perhaps noise transmission from pump to tank to outside?

or

- Less vibration on the pump bearings?

The purpose of the spring mounting is to reduce contact area in effort to reduce noise. I could have machined a clamp on bracket with a Viton isolator, but I'm hoping this is a little quieter. I've got a 50/50 chance.... either it is or it isn't :wink:

• Administrators

Part 2:

2000 Vette fuel filter w/built-in fuel pressure regulator (runs @ 4 bar), and -6 adapters.

C5Filter.jpg

Plumbed in...

FilterMounted.jpg

I'll probably add a heat shield below the filter.

Interesting concept though, please post some feedback on fuel pump noise once you are done. ;)

It's a lot quieter than my last triple isolated Walbro (rubber+rubber+low durometer plastic). I'd say it's about 25% louder than a stock Datsun EFI pump. At idle, you can't hear it from inside the car. From the outside, you can hear it while standing next to it, but not 8' away. With the engine off, pump on, the tank has a bit of a ring to it. Rubber isolation would probably have taken care of that.

It probably would have been easier to just keep the BMW Ron! :D

:mrgreen: I still have my M3 to play with when the Z isn't demanding my attention. It's a fun car. Sometimes I wonder while I'm still playing with these old things.

• Administrators

Wait a second...what do you have left to do?

:lmao:

Front wheel bearings/bushings/ball joints, rear wheel bearings/bushings, half shafts, real brakes, interior, sound deadening, seals, paint & bodywork, ..., ..., ...

That's just my warm up list :wink:

Ok, so you're doing a full re-build.

I didn't know exactly where you planned on going with this one.

Oh yeah, and I've been meaning to ask you

38.png

This is what an axle out of an E32 750il looks like. The ones in the E34 525i and a few other older Bimmers look similar just with varying CV joint size and axle thickness.

Anyway, I was wondering if you know if these axles could be shortened or not?

If they can, it would only take some pretty easy to fab brackets to get cv axles under our cars.

• Administrators

I haven't looked into BMW axles. There are other choices that are easy enough (280ZXT and Z31) and, if you looking for maximum strength and serviceability, the Porsche 930 stuff looks good. Blueovalz built his own and Wolf Creek Racing sells complete kits for Datsuns.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ron tossed me the keys to his Z this afternoon, was a nice treat driving my old S52 again. Impression, WOW! it was impressive in the 3300 lb M3, this engine in approximate 800 lb lighter S30, larger intake, freer flowing exhaust, what a blast to drive. A hybrid Z that retains all the sounds and character of the inline 6 cylinder with the power of a mild V8 or mild boost turbo without the lag or any weight penalty, makes for a fast and incredibly fun to drive S30.

If I build another S30, this is the powerplant I will use. 

Nice job Ron and thanks for letting me flog your Z. 

• Administrators

Paul, Thank you, and thanks again for providing the S52 on the cheap. That was the shove I needed to roll the dice.

Thomas, I'm sure something can be arranged. Next weekend may work out... ping me later in the week.

RE: Video's... I'll try to put something up once we get some decent weather.