HybridZ

Most attractive color for an s130

In your opinion, which color is best?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, which color is best?

• White
    • Black
    • Red
    • Blue
    • Yellow
    • Silver
    • Green
    • Orange

Just wanting to know what your opinion is on the coloring of the 280zx.

What looks the best?

What compliments the car's lines the most?

What really doesn't look that great?

I have a '79 280zx that I am doing all of the body work on before I sell it. Once everything is straight I'll be painting it myself. It gives me a chance to have a bit of a practice run with a paint gun before I paint my '71, and it makes the car worth more when I go to sell it. I'm assuming I'll be able to make at least enough to cover all of my costs.

Right now the engine bay is the stock silver color, and the jambs are a very poor faded and chipped red. I'm planning on respraying the jambs, but not the engine bay.

I'm wanting to stick with single stage paints, or only wanting to move to a clear. This is my first time spraying, so I'm going to avoid doing a metallic.

Overall I want something that's going to be attractive to most buyers, and be decent to shoot. My body work skills are respectable, but I'm still not sure if gloss black is a good idea or not ;)

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Hey,

The journey is not complete yet, but this is my first selection for my 83ZXT (5733 paint code). The paint source is ppg at O'Reillys; many domestic and import notebooks can be found. Make sure that you get the Deltron brand and look at the component parts to be sure about matching the clip. Also make sure that the temp reducer is within the ambient temperature when you spray paint your car. Always talk to the head paint guy; OMNI mixing grade will not get you the same quality color as seen in the clip. This is the final results as noted below (the journey not complete yet).

paintclearcoatbody.jpg

Now, make sure you ask for a sprayed sample; usually 4 oz will be enough. AND, I suggest that you evaluate whether the pearl and metalic components are what you want. There are many variables in the art of spraying that will make your final color lighter or darker than what the clip reveals to you. If you want to change any of the individual components, this is possible upon mixing the selected paint code. The current status: my Zcar has been moved to another shop because of the various problems that I have mentioned above AND other lack of attention-to-details. Now, I have selected the following: D5733. This is an alternative to the 5733. Components of both are noted below:

D5733ppgfromORiellys.jpg

The D component (urethane flattening agent) will affect what you see; straight-on view will be the clip and looking from the side will make it darker (according to the head paint guy at O'Reillys - Jonesboro). Therefore, she will be almost black at night and D5733 during the daylight hours.

Good luck with your journey.

john

Edited by jkh280zx
grammer!

Hey,

The journey is not complete yet, but this is my first selection for my 83ZXT (5733 paint code). The paint source is ppg at O'Reillys; many domestic and import notebooks can be found. Make sure that you get the Deltron brand and look at the component parts to be sure about matching the clip. Also make sure that the temp reducer is within the ambient temperature when you spray paint your car. Always talk to the head paint guy; OMNI mixing grade will not get you the same quality color as seen in the clip. This is the final results as noted below (the journey not complete yet).

paintclearcoatbody.jpg

Now, make sure you ask for a sprayed sample; usually 4 oz will be enough. AND, I suggest that you evaluate whether the pearl and metalic components are what you want. There are many variables in the art of spraying that will make your final color lighter or darker than what the clip reveals to you. If you want to change any of the individual components, this is possible upon mixing the selected paint code. The current status: my Zcar has been moved to another shop because of the various problems that I have mentioned above AND other lack of attention-to-details. Now, I have selected the following: D5733. This is an alternative to the 5733. Components of both are noted below:

D5733ppgfromORiellys.jpg

The D component (urethane flattening agent) will affect what you see; straight-on view will be the clip and looking from the side will make it darker (according to the head paint guy at O'Reillys - Jonesboro). Therefore, she will be almost black at night and D5733 during the daylight hours.

Good luck with your journey.

john

WOW! :eek: And I thought candy apple was the best red... Very very nice color dude!

(IMHO) With 280ZXs, the interior color comes into play very very very much. I happen to LOVE an S130 with red interior, red suede seats (82-83 style) and white exterior... but I really can't believe I am saying I like anything with a RED vinyl interior!! Wheels come into play as well. What sort of interior do you have, and what plans do you have with it?

Interior is blue/faded black to purple with some of the panels repainted (very well, would have thought they were original) to black. I really wasn't planning on doing much to the interior as it's pretty thrashed. I can get some pics later today.

Wheels are wither the stock iron cross ones, or steelies. Thinking of keeping the iron cross ones for another one of my Zs as the tires on them are completely shot.

'79 280ZX, blue/black interior, Iron Cross wheels.... I say blue/silver two tone as pictured above. That color scheme fits the model year (with the earlier B pillar design) and the wheels perfectly.. again IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the input guys!

According to the poll, silver is best, but whit came in a close second being only two votes behind. I've recently been interested in doing a black on white color scheme, and I think the white will help hide any imperfections in my body work, making the car look more presentable to the buyer.

I'm thinking I'll do the body/hatch/doors in white and the hood and bumpers in black. I may clean up the iron cross wheels and paint them in a semi-gloss black. Maybe a full gloss to match the hood? idk. Either way is going to be a lot better than the oxidized aluminum they are now!