HybridZ

First Start: 570zx

So...I just started my 88 300zx w/ a SBC swap for the first time. I just wanted to post it here b/c i got a lot of my swap stuff from things posted on this site. Thanks Alf for helping me w/ some of your suggestions.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=60095389

Its not done, i still have to finish the electrical and clean up the engine bay and put the body parts back on. But, at least its running.

I know my post count is low, but ive been lurking since around 2007 and i joined this year b/c i was going to be swapping my car. Thanks for the info guys.

Oh yes hoov, the car will be street driven. :)

and Mongo, my friend doesnt know. It came in his el camino, and when i fired it up i just kind of looked at him and was like "uhhh...you didnt tell me this thing had a mild cam in it..." I dont like not knowing, so after my heads get here im going to take it out and see... But it definately doesnt sound stock, and would explain what it dyno'd when he told me.

• 3 weeks later...
why not convert it to HEI and only have three wires to make it run?

it is HEI. my friend is going to be cleaning up the things in the stock harness that dont need to be there. He's also going to be putting my stock fuel pump on a toggle switch for me along with some misc. other things my car needs that ive been to lazy to do. He's doing it for me really cheap b/c my dad has been sending him business for at least the past 15 years.

ahh ok, didnt see it there for a second. if you can afford it, i would go with some aftermarket mechanical gauges (speedo, tach..etc) they work really good.

already have them...only one i dont have is the speedo(waiting to do that last) i have: RPM, Oil pressure, Water Temp, Volt, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Temp

im going to drive it over there now....Now i get to play "avoid the popo" lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just curious, why are you going to the LT1? I switched for a more steeetable ride, and better gas milage.

I am going to be pulling the SBC in the next couple of days, and replacing it with a LT-1 with a mild cam and 1.6 rollers. Here's a vid of the engine im picking up in 2 weeks.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2eq6r9g&s=6

Just curious, why are you going to the LT1? I switched for a more steeetable ride, and better gas milage.

Should be more streetable because of the Fuel Injection rather than carb. Plus, i will be working mornings soon, and starting the carb will be a little more than irritating lol. As for gas mileage, it should be slightly better, but at the end of the day i still have a TH350 with a decent stall and 3.90 rear gears. I don't plan on seeing anything over 19mpg on the street. Probably will be more like 15 with the LT1. I'm hoping that with a good tune and a 100 shot that i should be able to run a 7.6-7.9 in the 1/8 in my Z. And, since its out of a camaro, it already has aluminum heads, a light cam, roller rockers, and mild headwork, so i should save some weight upfront.

Plus, since its fuel injected and out of a 96, i might even be able to get it Bar'd. I am going to have to call and see.