HybridZ

Fuel hose adapters?

kakapoopie

Hey everyone, I've got a slightly weird situation here with my 71 240z. The size of the fuel hard lines leading to the tank are different sizes than the tank nipples (Don't know what tank it is. Slightly different tank than stock 240z, with 4 instead of 5 nipples, different locations see pics). I want to get and adapter (eg. 5/16" to 3/16") instead of over tightening one end of the hose, but I can't find adapters anywhere. Does anyone know where to get something like this? Or a better solution for my problem?

9b9jf4.jpg

(Don't know what tank it is. Slightly different tank than stock 240z, with 4 instead of 5 nipples, different locations see pics).

you should uh probably find out what fuel tank that second one is hahahaha

also, I used a simple adapter from Lowe's/HD on my fuel pump, see I have a feed line (from 74' tank) thats i think 3/16 and the electric pump (76' pump) that has a 1/2 inlet so I just got a couple different sized barbs and....well...humans are logical creatures so figure it out

Ok, the top tank is a 71-72 tank for sure. I have three. All are the same.

The bottom tank looks like it could either be a 75-76 tank, or a 76-78 tank. Look inside and see if it is baffled, if it is, AND it fits in a '71, then it is a '75-'76 tank. The other tank WILL NOT fit without modifications, since the spare tire well is cut down in order to fit the larger tank.

Other than that, the weird tank is the better bet, the small line on the back of the tank is the vapor line, the large line on the back of the tank is the vent to the filler neck, and the feed and return are as you point out.

Ok, the top tank is a 71-72 tank for sure. I have three. All are the same.

The bottom tank looks like it could either be a 75-76 tank, or a 76-78 tank. Look inside and see if it is baffled, if it is, AND it fits in a '71, then it is a '75-'76 tank. The other tank WILL NOT fit without modifications, since the spare tire well is cut down in order to fit the larger tank.

Other than that, the weird tank is the better bet, the small line on the back of the tank is the vapor line, the large line on the back of the tank is the vent to the filler neck, and the feed and return are as you point out.

Yep, you have an early 280Z gas tank there. It will fit with no major work into your 240Z. It is deeper [a few gallons more there]. The 240 tank hanger straps will work if you get longer "J" bolts or use the 280Z straps and "J" bolts. It is tight, but it will work. There is no vent on the end of the tank because the 280s were fuel injected. The tank is baffled and has larger diameter fuel and return lines. There are other differences and you can see most of them on my Hybridz Albums. Here's the depth difference.

280Z_Gas_Tank_Depth1.JPG

Oops, sorry about the size: look in the album there is a lot of detail there.

Thanks everyone.

Zgeezer - Thank you. That must be it. It's got the baffle, different fuel sender etc.

So I'm good to use the 280z sender without that extra filter looking part?

Xnke - I'm planning to block off 2 of the vent nipples at the evap tank and run the large nipple on the back of the 280z tank to the third vent nipple on the evap tank. What does the small vapor line on the 280z tank go to?

Ok, took a trip to home depot today, and had no luck finding the a 1/2"(280z tank) to 5/16" (240z hardline) adapter.

I did find some brass barbed nptf fittings on hydraulichose.com though, will this be ok for fuel?

"Xnke: To the front of the car, the engine bay has a third vapor line on the driver's side."

This the line that goes from the top of the evap tank on the 240z setup? So I'll just bypass the evap tank in that case?

Thanks