HybridZ

4 cylinder Z?

Guest Shiin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

no honda motors are rwd...except the F20C from the S2000. it would be nice to have a B18C5 from an integra type-R under the hood tho...200HP, redlines at 8500RPM, just need to finda a rwd tranny...GOOD LUCK!

Guest Anonymous

A flipped over Corvair rear end with a driveshaft from the engine, they like to run backwards (flipped corvair transaxles like they use in mid engine conversions into corvairs). Hard but not impossible. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I know I've said this a hundred times (some one please tell me to shut up) but an SR20DET would kick *ss in a 510... why not in a 240? Go for it. It's definately different. There is a big rice market for that motor so you should be able to beef it up pretty good... maybe even be faster than some of these V8Z guys. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Haha, thats funny, you know I was going to type that same engine. Offy ruled in the day. One of them with 30 lbs boost ought to be plenty, course you may need a pace car at 100 mph to keep the motor from loading up.. icon_smile.gif Low end isn't going to be plentiful, thats a cinch. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

If you want a light engine why not a vw vr6 engine. Its not much bigger than a 16 valve 4 banger. There are several turbo kits made for these engines and the management system can be modified and reprogrammed to 400-500 hp.

These cosworth engines must be just as rare as the 16 valve manta 400 engine. A 300 hp 400 engine can be made with a opel 2.4 cih engine and a cut omega 24v head but its expensive. How about the 5 cylinder volvo t5r engines they can be chipped to 330 hp with stock turbo. And the benefit they can use a volvo M90 transmission or a supra with adapter. They sound like a audi quattro = great. The 2.3 volvo turbo from a 940 can also be tweaked to serius power and they are very strong but sounds like a tractor.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i just got done selling my little POS 4 banger. i can go get it back if someone wants to put a civic engine in their Z...(said very sarcastically)

are you guys nuts? what is the point here? if you're talking about meeting scca rules, that's one thing, but why would anyone want to put a turbo 4 banger in their Z when they could have a turbo v8?! doods and possibly doodettes, i sold my civic 2 weeks ago, and with the selling went any need or want for a 4 cylinder engine, ever again. i'm probably standing out here alone on this one, and this could be my infamous young wisdom speaking. that's my 2 cents and then some....

I bet a turbo 4 would be much easier to setup, layout-wise than a turbo or twin turbo V8...I would choose the SR20DET or a 13B twin turbo myself.

As to "what's the point?", maybe some people don't like the V8 and it's pushrods, maybe they like the high pitched sound of a 4 banger.

When I started the forum it was called the V8 Swapper's Forum (cool name, huh?) but since we became Hybridz, we now have hipo I6, V6 and V8s here. And it's definitely for the better!

I say, do what you wanna. Even if the engine's a little smaller, even if it's a little less powerful. Do it cuz ya like it!

Owen

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i'm not knocking someone's desire to do it, well, yeah i am, but for the sole reason that it would be a downgrade. ehhh, screw it, do what you like. hahaha, that would explain all these people with giant wings wouldn't it?

The W-41 cammed quad 4 makes 190hp, which is pretty impressive for an early 90's 4 cylinder. I've been dreaming of putting a supercharger on mine for a while. These days, the engine's aftermarket is somewhat limited though.

Hybrid Z when stock don't cut it. I just happen to have one of those tired azz L24 engines (It's stock and aint cutting it!), that some previous owner drove to near death. I also have a race prepared 75 toyota celica (My love before the Z),that was wrecked in the rear by some idiot. That has a modified 20R engine that will kill most prey at the stop light. hmmmmmmm??? These engines give exceptional performance and torque and are put in vehicles heavier than 240z's. The 20R and 22R engines are a dime a dozen and with a huge aftermarket. I also have a conquest turbo with a intercooler and this car will run circles around most street cars with its 2.6 liter 4 cyl. From the factory its 188 hp with a small turbo and small throttle body and heavy 30lb flywheel. I have even seen these cars modified go in the low 10 sec range on the drag strip. The engine has been around a while and there are after market parts for it. Including drag race crate engines. The conquest is a RWD car and weights over 3000lbs in that stock body(Somebody please wreck this one! LOL)Lets not forget a 4 banger is lighter than a V-8. So the next time you get your doors blowed off just think, it might be a Hybrid Z 4 banger! When all else fails get a light flywheel and some nitrous!

Guest Anonymous

I began reading this thread thinking why go backwards and put a four in? but when i start to think about the places and the way i like to drive it makes more sense.

most of the V8 Zeds on this board are fairly stock heavy bastards equal if not more heavy than the stock motor, but if i shove a modern hypo 4cyl in my Zed i can have as much power if not more, better handling, less wieght and better fuel economy than an old cast-iron bent eight is ever going to get. And here at least the costs of building an eight and engineering it to suit the Zed would be about the same as putting a motor in like the SR20 DET.

Just remember theres no bottom end torque in a 2.0 turbo and to make 400+ hp means changing parts for several thousand dollars as none of the stock parts are strong/big enough. The vg30et engine is claimed to be 175 pounds lighter than a L28 http://www.zdriver.com/articles/full_article.php?ID=65

So it must be just as light as a sierra coworth engine. This is just as heavy as a rover v8. The alfa romeo 75 1.8 turbo engine is very light (all aluminium but its very rare and to small) How much weighs a rb20 with all turbo accesories and is it available. I have only seen them in dealer sponsored sunny rally cars in europe (one owner said a nissan sunny grp a trans would cost 150000$) all others are 1.8. 200sx s13 a 400 hp upgraded 1.8 costs

13539 english pounds. http://www.norrisdesigns.com/