HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I drove the S30 to school Friday with it running on 5 cylinders, I thought it was just cold and it would go away when it warmed up. I should have turned around and got the Z31 but I was already running late.

I got to school, parked, and when I came back out after work, It was running on about 3 cylinders. when I really stepped on it it seemed to run better. I drove it right next to my office and got a small screwdriver to tighten up the relay board connections thinking one of the injector bank wires were loose. When I tried to start the car again, it wouldn't turn over. Pulled the dizzy wire and I was getting strong spark.

I got fed up and just pulled the Relay board and ECU out of my car and left it in the deck and had my roommate pick me up.

I've had nothing but problems from this stupid relay board, and it was the last thing from the sour deal I had with buying that MegaSquirt setup second hand, so I just ordered a new one. I might try and do direct jumpers later on so I can use the relay board on another MS setup [MegaSquirt my Z31 perhaps?? :D] but I am tired of dealing with it so I just got another relay board form DIYAutoTune.

Once again, great great people to do business with. Got to work, emailed them, got an invoice shortly after, paid them, then got an electronic shipping notice within a couple of hours. One of the best companies over the internet I've had the pleasure of doing business with!

I got the relay board wired up and got the car back to the house but it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders.

I got home, shut it off and when I went to start it again the battery was dead. So I got a jump, went to go get spark plugs in O'Reilly's and left the car running but it died when I went back outside, and had to get a jump.

Buuuuut the car wouldn't start. got spark, figured it was the fuel. I pulled the Dropping resistors off, and switched the PWM back on, [Luckily I had my laptop in the car] and got the car home running on 5 cylinders. Hopefully I just fouled out the spark plugs and it'll run fine tomorrow. [Minus tracking down my charging issue]

I have the Dropping resistors barely sitting on the relay board aluminium case, do you think I could have fried the resistors from not having them properly placed on a heat sink?

I have lots to do tomorrow and schoolwork on Sunday... Perfect timing. madno.gif

I got the relay board wired up and got the car back to the house but it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders.

I got home, shut it off and when I went to start it again the battery was dead. So I got a jump, went to go get spark plugs in O'Reilly's and left the car running but it died when I went back outside, and had to get a jump.

Buuuuut the car wouldn't start. got spark, figured it was the fuel. I pulled the Dropping resistors off, and switched the PWM back on, [Luckily I had my laptop in the car] and got the car home running on 5 cylinders. Hopefully I just fouled out the spark plugs and it'll run fine tomorrow. [Minus tracking down my charging issue]

I have the Dropping resistors barely sitting on the relay board aluminium case, do you think I could have fried the resistors from not having them properly placed on a heat sink?

I have lots to do tomorrow and schoolwork on Sunday... Perfect timing. madno.gif

Sounds like you need to go through every inch of wiring going to/from the relay board. Have you tested your injectors? is it possible where you soldered the wiring harness to the injector clips that it came loose?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I haven't updated this in a while.

Swapped clutches last weekend, made a bad decision on the clutch and it slips worst than the first one. Lesson learned, ordering a new clutch very soon, hopefully can have it in after Thanksgiving but before Finals hit.

I've had a serious power-plant life changing event this weekend.

This is my buddy Kevin's 70 Chevelle SS.

PICT2397.jpg

I have known him for a while but I hadn't had the time to ride in it until this weekend.

It is an LS1 with a mild cam, FAST intake, a tune, and a 4L60E. He is dynoing a bit under 400WHP IIRC. Anyways, he got on it and I about soiled myself.

So, I have until next Spring to decide what to do. I'd like to see what I can get out of the turbo L28, but with the LSX so readily available, [And my next project after the turbo car is 'finished' will be an LS3 S30], why not start collecting parts for a LSX build?

Got to think long and hard about this one. If I decide to pull more out of the L28 next summer, it'll be a bigger turbo and meth injection, and possibly another rebuilt Flat Top F54/P90 with a thicker HG.

Why not turbo a stock ls2 long block? :D

Because if I go LSX I'd like to stay N/A for a while and get familiar with the engine. Plus, I don't really seeing myself needing much more than 400 RWHP...

We'll see what is available though, if it will be faster [cheaper] to do a LS1 swap, I might just swap a 5.7 in with plans for a terbeaux.

• 4 weeks later...

Updates. Good ones. Been having a great week. Got better-than-expected grades, and ordered a bunch of fun parts for Flatty.

Fidanza #143281 NIS1 is getting here tomorrow, total package weight is 10.7 lbs.

South Bend DXD #K06032 390WTQ Clutch was ordered today after calling their office. Details here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1103530#post1103530

I will update with pictures when all the goods come in. I'm taking a trip up to Indiana to visit some friends, so these won't be going in until after Christmas. Can't wait to have power back :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Z, I am working on a 1971 Z. I have a turbo motor, ms, stock wiring harness, 5 speed, etc. Just need to find the time to install it all. Been moving into a new shop. I am from Joplin,MO. Ever get up this way give me shout. Maybe turn a few wrenches, haha.

Jason

Awesome!!

I saw you were from JoMo a while back I guess I just never got in contact with you.

I have a new clutch that is going in this week if I get the time, [Kind of waiting for things to thaw out down here] and I'm coming up to Joplin to visit friends as I break in the new clutch.

Are you going to be around in early January? I'd love to see your 240!

My email is flat black 280 at gmail dot com, same name on AIM if you ever get on there. I'd love to help you on your MegaSquirt install. Give me an email if you want some help.

*edit* Here are the pictures of Flatty's Christmas presents:

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

looking good mat...need to start working on mine before you get to far ahead of me >_< I want a lsx badly to :(

Haha it's just an L28...

The goal is to get 300WHP or beat my buddy's LT1 swapped 92 RS in the quarter [shouldn't be too hard] before doing the swap.

Would be nice to beat Zach's LS1 cammed and headered Trans Am though...

Can't wait for January so I can do my tax return. I just hit the indicators on my back tires, so the whole refund is going for an LSD and new rubber. I'm shooting for low 13s or high 12s in May.

Another setback.

The 350Z pressure plate hits the 78 5 Speed bellhousing, so I'll be getting a different pressure plate [as long as it's 300 WTQ or more] or machining the bell housing to fit the pressure plate.

*edit* I ground down the tranny housing and the pressure plate no longer hits, I got everything back together and started the car with no issues. The clutch feels much much better, too, I can't wait to try it out.

We are having a nasty ice storm so I might have to wait a week or more to drive it :/

Big thanks to Chris [TrumpetRhapsody] and my roommate Nate for helping me.

We did Chris' clutch swap yesterday in about 3 hours, then did mine today in about 2 and a half. We're getting pretty good at this :D

• 4 weeks later...

The clutch is broken in and it feels GOOD. Very crisp engagement and added pedal firmness, but not too firm. It's exactly what I wanted.

I need your help!!

I didn't want to start a thread for this because I just need to get under the car and see what's up, but I'll present the situation anyways.

I got in Flatty this morning to run some errands before work, and as soon as I got over 45 MPH the car started to shake. It will shake in gear, on throttle, off throttle, or out of gear and in neutral. As soon as I hit the brakes or get under 45 MPH is goes away.

I'm not really sure what's going on as I haven't looked down there yet. The half shafts aren't loose when I tried to rotate them, and the wheels are on snug.

Last night I heard a noise when barely rolling, it sounded like a rotating part making noise at my passenger's side rear wheel. It seemed to happen per one rotation of the wheel, but I couldn't confirm that visibly.

The shaking might point to a out of balance wheel/tire, or a loose drivetrain part, but what are the chances that it is one of the rear wheel bearings? My fronts are new.

A single wheel weight wouldn't produce such a big vibration, how do all of your bushings look? jack up the rear of the car, grab the wheel and try and pull it/lift it up and see if their is any play. I was going to guess wheel bearings as well.

It's not really a "big" vibration...

All bushings are new poly. I grabbed the wheel with the car on the ground and shook it as hard as I could, nothing was loose.

I'll get her up in the air tonight, but I'm going to go get a new wheel weight on after work.

Sounds more serious than a lost balance weight, unless it was a BIG balance weight your tire needed... Get the car up and throw it in neutral and spin the wheel back and forth while listening closely to the hub. Grab the tread of the tire on the top with both hands and shake forwards and backwards with it off the ground and safely supported. Check your nuts and bolts all around the corner. Try finding a bigass pry bar to wedge in various locations forcing stresses in any direction you can summon trying to get something to budge.

I would also suggest rotating the tire before driving to a tire shop to have it rebalanced; you may find a dreadful problem in the tread of the tire when you pull it off the car. It just seems like a bit more than one woud typically find from a dropped balance weight... unless I am mis-judging your description.