HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

Buy a welder and go to town, if nothing else, you'll learn a hell of a lot about welding and metalworking. If you F it up royally, get another shell like you're planning, you'll still learn how to weld though. Knowing how to weld is a really really useful thing, and it can be a decent source of beer money.

• 5 weeks later...

I had some brake wobble after the S12+8 swap, so I bought some new rotors. I have been busy/lazy lately, but yesterday I finally got around to getting them on.

The wobble is gone and the brakes are really front biased [my other rotors were pitted]. I'm going to look into some upgraded rear drum options, I'm not ready to do rear discs yet.

A guy on my local forum has a 86 Z31T parts car that he's parting out, I might be buying the VG30ET/T5 out of it this week. If I get it, I'm going to sell my L28ET and run my N/A-T until I have the VG30ET ready to go in.

I'll have pictures if I get this motor this week.

Pretty sure that car is going to need a bit of work to make it look good inside. Get to ripping it all out! Outside looks clean, good starting point to swap flatty over to!

Nah dude, this car isn't getting stripped. I require a more civilised Z experience.

Flatty's seats, a new dash cap, my new steering wheel, and it'll look just like Flatty inside.

This new car's door panels are way better than Flatty's.

Best part: it was undercoated in the 80s, the battery tray and floorboards have NO holes in them! This is a first for me haha. It's weird having a battery tray.

I still can't decide if I want to loose the 78 deck in the new car. Hmph.

Just noticed this. Is the car supposed to have slicks on it? LOL

Not really :D

Those are my old rims that I use to "play around" with. It's really easy to get 205 bald street tires loose haha

Tomorrow I'm going to bring the new car home to Fayetteville and do some clean-up on it. My Dad has expressed interest in getting an S30 [i had no idea he was even interested until yesterday], so I think I'm going to make it drivable, then give it to him to drive around. I don't plan to swap until the winter when it's too cold to drive.

The passenger door won't open and the driver's is really stubborn. Little things like that. I'm also 90% certain that the front diff mount rubber is completely destroyed.

Edited by FlatBlack

Well, I don't know if I should start a new thread for this. What do you guys think?

In the mean time:

I de-bumpered the new 78. Also got the stupid body line trim off.

When I got her home:

PIC-0131.jpg

Sans bumpers/trim:

PIC-0133.jpg

PIC-0136.jpg

I've already got a pile of Z crap from this one:

PIC-0134.jpg

I'll be dropping the tank at some point to get rid of the rear bumper struts

PIC-0135.jpg

I still need to fix the diff clunk [front mount] and turn signals, as well as the door mechanisms. The passenger side won't even open.

Edited by FlatBlack

Question on the KA flywheel, wwas it for a Single or Dual cam KA? I have a Fidanza Flywheel from my KA24DE in my 240, and I would love to use it on my L28 when I finally swap it to manual. Also, what clutch are you using?

I don't think it matters, the crank bolts are the same. You should sell the KA fidanza and get the L28ET fidanza, that way you can run my clutch.

I'm running a South Bend DXD K06032 "Rally X-Series" clutch, claimed 390WTQ clutch. I highly recommend it. Pictures are in this thread a couple of pages back, I installed it in December.

I don't think it matters, the crank bolts are the same. You should sell the KA fidanza and get the L28ET fidanza, that way you can run my clutch.

I'm running a South Bend DXD K06032 "Rally X-Series" clutch, claimed 390WTQ clutch. I highly recommend it. Pictures are in this thread a couple of pages back, I installed it in December.

I actually meant are you using the KA24DE clutch lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey Flatblack

I tried PM'ing you but it said you can't receive any new messages...

I saw that you had a HybridZ hat in one of your posts. Do you know if the person/shop you got it from is still making it? I'm a new HybridZ owner and want to rock some HybridZ gear.

Awesome car btw I can only hope mine will be like that in the future.

Thanks

Pat