HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

Okay, went out yesterday and hooked the ECU into the car.

I now have an RPM signal in Megatune. The interesting thing - When I had the stim board hooked up to the ECU at Trumpet's house, I wasn't getting any values from the TPS at all. I spent about an hour testing the board for bad capacitors, etc, but everythign checked out when I used a proper meter.

I got it on the car, and when I pressed the pedal my AFR gauge went really rich. Let the pedal up and it went back to 14.7. "That's weird" I thought. I went to calibrate TPS and voila! I have values! I hvae no idea what happened. I switched the gauge from AFR to TPS and now I have the Throttle Position function working.

I need some help on my settings - I am getting Fuel and the dizzy is sending signal to the board at least to read RPM in MegaTune, but I don't have spark after the coil. We got a "weak" spark [as described by my roommate] from the coil to the dizzy [pulled off the coil wire], but there was no spark at the cylinders.

I need to go read read and read some more abotu the MS I V3.0 Extra Code with 83 CAS dizzy settings, I'm pretty sure something is just messed up in my spark settings.

If anyone feels like chiming in that would be nice :)

I am running Mikeatrpi's tables and he is using a welded points dizzy, I am using a 83 CAS dizzy, I believe that is the most notable difference of our setups.

*edit* Forrest told me to open up the dizzy and check to see if I have a rotor in there. Didn't think to open it :/

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to stay away from the issues I'm going through with and leave them for my Megasquirt thread. Here's an update:

I got the car running for a while Saturday then something crapped out.

I bought a MSD 6A unit today, hopefully I can get the car running off that. When I was in Baton Rouge I got two volvo intercoolers from Forrest and and LC1 Wideband from Mat [Thanks guys].

I also had a 87 Z31 Turbo Dizzy that I took apart and put the internals into my 83 housing.

Hopefully the 6A will come in soon and I can get to work. I still have lots to do to get the car back on the road [tuning and such] and school starts Monday.

Here are some pictures:

DSC02769.jpg

Z31 internals on the left 83 ZXT internals on the right

DSC02771.jpg

LC-1 WBO2

DSC02772.jpg

Me dreaming that I could actually use my laptop on my Z haha:

DSC02774.jpg

HAHA dude.... Luke? No, Garrett? bought the dang thing that was NOT my fault. Frikkin Chris Lightfoot. The jetski. What a debacle.

Thanks for whoring up my thread :icon45:

So how's the V8 coming? Don't lie you miss your Z roommate :mrgreen:

*edit* Still waiting on the 6A, it was shipped yesterday morning from Tennessee... should be here soon.

Hey Brad I got the coil and dizzy shipped out today.

:hijack:

Apparently there is a back story to this...

Please, whore the crap out of this thread.

Buck's V8 Z is what got me hooked on Z cars.

So... the MSD 6A arrived at my parent's house today... My Mother is bringing it down to Fayetteville for me today :)

I'm going into work for a bit tomorrow then heading out to the shop to try and get the Flat Black Z sparking.

How's that for back on track Bawb ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

We tried one last time to get this damn V3.0 board to work for me, and it still wouldn't do it.

I've given up and I'm ordering this within a week:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirti-efi-system-smd-pcb357-black-case-p-172.html

I've wasted sooo much time on the old board, it's time to move on.

Hopfully this will be a drop in affair, I'll have everything in the harness ready to go by the time the board gets here. I'm going back to firing the coil directly off the board.

I stopped making deadlines for this project months ago so I have no tentative date of completion :P

Aside: DIY is really cool. Russ emailed me within an hour and got the information he needed out of me and they even took some money off for the stuff I could reuse off of my old board [Case and processor]

I will continue doing business with them and I anxiously await MSIII. Awesomeness:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/megasquirt-3/9487/page1/

This is freak'n awesome, makes me wanna do the same thing.

Mat is my mentor. :icon45: You da bomb.

I started writing notes for a "N/A L28 to Turbo" thread, I'll hopefully get it all done and if it's good enough, who knows, sticky? :)

It'll have all the part numbers and measurements, all of the good stuff in one thread so when newbs like CrazyAsian have daft questions I can make them read my thread :flamedevi

My friend Joe is going to be buying my old rims [American Racing 15x7s] so I'll be ordering the board whenever I get the money. I have plenty now but it would put me below my "safety" level in the bank account heh.

Hoping to get this darn swap done already.

And as of now I'm taking a road trip on Monday to go pick up a spare L28ET from Ed.

I started writing notes for a "N/A L28 to Turbo" thread, I'll hopefully get it all done and if it's good enough, who knows, sticky? :)

It'll have all the part numbers and measurements, all of the good stuff in one thread so when newbs like CrazyAsian have daft questions I can make them read my thread :flamedevi

No offense but there are already numerous stickies and threads relating to the topic. What does need to be done is a consolidation and mass update of all the old info. A lot of it is pretty out of date, and just needs some refreshing. Perhaps your notes could help moby accomplish that, now that he has mod level editing abilities, and since most of the threads are either his or he had a hand in them. For instance, as you well know the documentation for HEI needs some help, heh.

Get the new board ordered so we can finish this thing!!! :D

No offense but there are already numerous stickies and threads relating to the topic. What does need to be done is a consolidation and mass update of all the old info. A lot of it is pretty out of date, and just needs some refreshing. Perhaps your notes could help moby accomplish that, now that he has mod level editing abilities, and since most of the threads are either his or he had a hand in them. For instance, as you well know the documentation for HEI needs some help, heh.

Get the new board ordered so we can finish this thing!!! :D

It will NOT be a Megaskwert write up lol

It's all of the hardware crap so the new kids asking about the swap can be directed to it. Part numbers for the Stainless Steel oil lines, etc etc.

I'm working on it now, hopefully I'll finish tonight.

Whoo!!

I just ordered a MSI V3.57 board from DIYAutoTune.

I had them put in the ignition driver to use the BIP373 to drive the single coil off of the CAS dizzy, and I also had them add the circuit for the Knock Sensor through pin 25.

I also picked up an L28ET from Ed this weekend, my roommate Nate went up with me and we brought it back in the Z31 [we hauled Chris' L28ET in the Z31 as well :)]

So... I'm really ready to get back into this project and wrap it up. there's still much to do, hopefully by the time the board gets to me I'll have the car ready to go.

Thanks letitsnow for buying my old board, that really helped, I wasn't planning on spending an extra $400 when school started :shock:

I took the Z31 on a cruise with some friends yesterday, it's really been an amazing car and I'm growing quite fond of it. Unfortunately I can't cover it with my full attention and extra resources as the S30 is the main focus now. I really miss my S30 but hey - Dailying a turbo Z car ain't bad either :burnout: