HybridZ

California to Wisconsin in a Z!

MoNkEyT88

Well, tomorrow morning I'm flying out to LA to pickup a 260Z.

I know there are closer cars, but this seems like a good adventure, hopefully.

I had my friend, whom also decided on a whim to go to LA, stop in and test drive it and check it out.

Here are some videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLpuNi6vSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPzhtwc3HQ

The drive back is a tick over 2000mi. I'm hoping I can leave Friday morning, and get to Wisconsin By Saturday night.

Wish me luck.

So far I've bought;

260Z - Chicago, IL - 170mi

280Z - Oshkosh, WI - 5mi

240Z - Minneapolis, MN - 300mi

And now.. omg

260Z - Carson, CA - 2086mi...

I noticed it had no spare tire, might want to find one. Go over the cooling system thoroughly. Bring a spare fan belt and by the way the electrics look i would bring an ohm meter and wiring suplies. Give the fuel lines a look over and spray the inside of the carbs with carb cleaner. I used to drive my 240z 2000 miles a month from 2004-2007, 3 years and the car never left me stranded with 200,000 miles on the odometer. Good luck on your little adventure.

Keep it pretty subtle, nothing that I have to rip the whole car apart to do, I've done that enough.

Clean up the interior and exterior.

Engine compartment clean-up.

Flares maybe.

RB26.

Simple stuff.

Okay I think I see what happened.

- Bought 260z, wanted to rip into it and tore it apart.

- Decided you wanted to actually drive a Z

- No Z (in one piece)

- Bought POS to drive

- It was too crappy, got rid of it

- Now you're buying something else to drive that is actually a decent car.

How accurate am I? Not that I did exactly the same thing or anything... ;)

100%..

The 240Z that I bought was for parts, it had a 6 litre LQ9 motor, T56 Trans, and an R200, plus other goodies. But I sold the body to make me work on the other project.. lol yeah...

Okay I think I see what happened.

- Bought 260z, wanted to rip into it and tore it apart.

- Decided you wanted to actually drive a Z

- No Z (in one piece)

- Bought POS to drive

- It was too crappy, got rid of it

- Now you're buying something else to drive that is actually a decent car.

How accurate am I? Not that I did exactly the same thing or anything... ;)

be sure to stop by my house and take a look through my spare parts and see if you want anything.

Okay!!! how about a 240Z airbox/filter. I noticed this one doesn't have one.

I know theres a few guys out there with RB's in Z's I'd like to check one out.. damn.. so little time.

Nice, California Z's are amazing compared to what we have to work with here. Well worth the effort of picking one up. When I was in Northern Cali I found too many good deals that were rust free, but no way to get them home since I had driven out there.

Good luck on the trip!

Good luck.... I did the same as you, San Diego to Iowa. I made in great time, due to luck. I had a serious wiring problem that killed the ecu, fortunately a couple months later. The trip was fun though, much waving and thumbs-up from other drivers on the interstates.

MoNkEyT88: The only thing obviously serious is the oil leakage appears to be from the cylinder head. Wash this down with solvent, fill the oil to the proper level and watch for more leakage and where it is coming from. Suggest taking along cans of STP for upper cylinder head lubrication IF the leak is at the cylinder head. The leakage may be from oil pressure gallery or return oil gallery. At worst the upper cylinder head is not getting FULL lubrication.

I did something similar, flew to Regina, SK and drove back to Vancouver Island. It was a great experience, and the best $1200 car I ever drove. ;) Bought it off a hybridZ member too, though I don't see him around here anymore.

1,906km according to Google maps, not quite as long as your trip.

I did something similar, flew to Regina, SK and drove back to Vancouver Island. It was a great experience, and the best $1200 car I ever drove. ;) Bought it off a hybridZ member too, though I don't see him around here anymore.

1,906km according to Google maps, not quite as long as your trip.

TimZ's 280zxt?