HybridZ

CA, car accident, No insurance, liability unknown...

MJLamberson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going like 10 other driver said he was going 40mph, I think he was speeding.:roll:

I haven't noticed you mentioning any lesson learned from this adventure - or a reordering of your priorities. You might want to consider putting "car insurance" higher on your priority list than "internet access". Driving uninsured is just a very bad choice. So far, you seem to be getting off "lucky".

What's your plan after all of this is sorted out?

Dennis

The fact the other guy is obviously lying is a good sign. If that can be proved in any way in an official government document then that bodes well in your case. If his insurance company really wants to go after you though, they still have the fact you were driving uninsured, which is blatantly illegal in CA.

Hopefully you get some insurance soon though. In fact, since you don't even NEED a car in order to have insurance, I'd suggest you get insurance NOW. It would look good for a judge to see that you've "turned a new leaf" and are wanting to be responsible, which you should be.

If you get enough $$$ for the parts maybe you can get yourself into another Z still. There's always $500 specials floating around here and there. Shoot, look at my 75'. At $1,100 I think it's the best purchase I've ever made in my life.

Im sure the a new Z is the first thing he will be paying. I doubt hes going to get off with no fines/damage payments.

As for getting insurance, very good idea. Alot of time in WA if you get a ticket for not having insurance if you go get it and then take it downtown and show them theyll drop the ticket. It would thought show whoevers in charge this kid learned his lesson.

Good luck. BTW when do you find out more? Is there a court date or something?

Well, at least your alright and nobody got hurt, which is the main concern and should be yours. Your stressing way too much over this whole thing, it's obvious from your posts. RELAX, the truth always has a sneaky way of finding it's way to the front for everyone to see. You don't need to help too much, alittle maybe but RELAX!

Oh, and get some insurance would you?! :lmao:

Darn kids!

Not meaning to be hard on you, just kind of well, uh, stating the obvious.

I had an accident once about 15 years back in CA and like you I had no insurance.

My license was suspended until I could show proof of financial responsibility.(sr-22 form).

It took years for me to learn to maintain it at all costs because it's just not worth driving without...

Him saying that "his friend" was driving shouldn't matter. He gave responsibility to drive "his" car, and he was still a passenger. Well that would be the legal standing if the insurance was to believe that side of the story. Hope you have contacts of the witnesses. That would be a BIIIIGGGGG help. An unbiased account would clear things up.

Up here, if you drive a vehicle without insurance, you get the car towed and license suspended.

Had and accident last winter, when I rear ended someone, who cut me off trying to make a right turn and slid into a snow bank. Half the van was in the street and I only have about 2 car lengths to react and my breaks locked up. He didn't have his license and wasn't his car. I only had the bumper pushed in on my jeep. When I found out about his license, I said "give me $300 or I'll call the cops". $300 richer and didn't even bother replacing the bumper. Traded it in just this last monday :P.

Know your rights!

Sounds like you were driving along, a third car did something out of the ordinary, and the accord had to swerve to avoid hitting them and in the process slammed into you.

100% not your fault.

They are claiming that it was your fault because if they can get you to admit to it, and have it in the police report, then fault is already determined in their favor for the insurance proceedings. If I blatantly rear-end someone, I'm still going to come out of my car insisting that the entire incident was their fault even though it's plain that it wasn't. Sad, yet a common and effective tactic.

#1 rule of non-serious accidents: NEVER admit fault.

You have the right to settle the matter in a court of law. The insurance company does not have the final say in everything. It is their JOB to place the smallest cost possible on their company.

You need to assure that your medical costs are covered. That should be your #1 priority. The car comes second, as it's far less important than your knee.

As for the car, they're going to try to total it out on you for a very low price. When you're dealing with them the question you always need to ask is, "Where can I find the same car, in the same condition for that price?", because you're not going to be able to. Let them know that you aren't willing to settle for what's unfair.

You are supposed to be compensated as to not inconvenience you. What's broken is supposed to get fixed/replaced, without providing a significant gain to yourself.

Oh, and

clip it, it's saveable...

Seriously.

I have a 73 that was t-boned in the driver's door that I'm cutting up. I know you're not close, but you can have the front clip if you want it. I'm sure you'll find parts cheap enough from the hybridz family.

Then again, it's a serious repair project that you might not want to take one.

Some of you guys are being a little too harsh in my opinion. In states that don't require drivers to have insurance the rates are on average lower than in states that do require it. Lamberson wasn't an illegal citizen driving without a license and without insurance causing accidents. He's not out there trying to screw anyone over. He's not out there being reckless. He only recently had gotten his car running again and obviously wanted to enjoy driving it a little before he had the money to put it back on his insurance.

Sure he did something we wouldn't call smart. But he also was only doing something that is considered legal in a good portion of the rest of the country. We're not talking about smoking weed, something you need to leave the country for to do 100% legally. We're talking about a decision that puts himself at jeopardy if anything were to happen, and something did. He's trying to make things right again, give him some space to breathe.

Some of you guys are being a little too harsh in my opinion. In states that don't require drivers to have insurance the rates are on average lower than in states that do require it. Lamberson wasn't an illegal citizen driving without a license and without insurance causing accidents. He's not out there trying to screw anyone over. He's not out there being reckless. He only recently had gotten his car running again and obviously wanted to enjoy driving it a little before he had the money to put it back on his insurance.

Sure he did something we wouldn't call smart. But he also was only doing something that is considered legal in a good portion of the rest of the country. We're not talking about smoking weed, something you need to leave the country for to do 100% legally. We're talking about a decision that puts himself at jeopardy if anything were to happen, and something did. He's trying to make things right again, give him some space to breathe.

B.S.

I have been holding off from commenting here but no longer. Ask some of the people out there that have been victims of ILLEGAL uninsured motorists. Talk to some of the ones whose lives have been destroyed because someone "wanted to enjoy driving it a little before he had the money to put it back on his insurance". Talk to families of the dead and disfigured. Here in our little town is a family I've known for years who have lost everything trying to pay for the medical care of there mangled son thanks to an uninsured driver.

No sympathy from me. If you can't afford insurance than GET THE HELL OFF THE ROAD. If you want to be selfish and irresponsible but legal than move to some state that will let you.

You were just lucky Lamberson. Now don't be stupid anylonger.

I do have sympathy for victims Dan, I hope you understand that. I was just hoping to point out that in many cases it's the person driving without insurance who cause the accident, and from what we can tell that's not the case here (obviously hard to judge sitting here at the computer).

I guess my point is that if it WAS his fault, he WILL be held accountable.

Unfortunately people die on the roads of america every day from insured and uninsured motorists. I have no patience for reckless drivers of any sort for that very reason.

Lemme get this straight: You mention that it's the law in CA to have insurance, then you mention he was driving without insurance, but you say he isn't an "illegal citizen"???!? Do you even know what the definition of "illegal" is?

Similarly, he WAS being "reckless." That's what driving without insurance is... along with being "not smart" and against the law.

But if he wants to turn in his lifetime bus pass and move permanently to another state where it is legal-but-stupid to be uninsured, that's fine with me.

And sorry, if you have money for parts to fix your Z, then you have money for insurance. If you don't have money for insurance, then you can't afford the car -- it really is that simple.

As far as I know he traded parts in order to get his car on the road.

I mention illegal citizens because they're a huge percentage of the people driving without licenses, and without insurance.

And he might have been making reckless decisions, but that doesn't mean he was driving recklessly. He wasn't weaving traffic at 100 miles an hour. He wasn't drifting on public streets. He wasn't egging houses. He was minding his own business following the traffic laws.

Again, I'm NOT saying what he was doing isn't stupid. I'm saying that a lot of you are playing judge from the other side of the computer. By the state of california law he's looking at paying fines for driving without insurance, but by the same state's laws he's entitled to a FAIR trial to find out who WAS at fault so THAT person can pay the damages the vehicles and persons involved, REGARDLESS of whether or not they have insurance. If lamberson is found NOT at fault at the OTHER person's insurance ends up paying HIM for HIS knee injury and car damagers I'd expect some of you people to at least be somewhat happy for him.

What he was doing was wrong, that gives us no right to ridicule him.