HybridZ

why all the hate on sunroof's?

I don't have a sunroof on my Z but I do on my Altima and it was a waste of money. Something about 110 degree heat beating down on you that is no fun. From what I've heard when you cut out a hole in the roof it reduces the rigidity of the car. I've never tested it so I'm not sure how true it is. Another thought is if we are going through all the effort to stiffen up our chassis through strut bars etc. then a sunroof sets you back from that goal.

...shouldnt leak/rust if it was installed correctly.

Says the guy from Cali...

Everything on my Z was installed correctly at the factory and most of it leaks/rusts after 36 years of driving....thats just the nature of things. Sunroof is another thing to go wrong (mine is leaking and rusting and rattling) and it looks goofy to me cause I know it didn't come from the factory like that.

If you have one that works and you like it then more power to you but I just cringe every time I think of the guy who put mine in taking a jigsaw to a perfectly good roof.

i dont think rigidity play's in to this very well, as all the roof is, is a piece of convex sheet metal tack welded to the body and has little play in the actual stiffness of an 240z, because well there's not much strength to the roof of a 240z period, an i for the few of us who have been in a side impact in a s30, i think you would agree with my, that the roof just accordions.

(also i dont give a flyin' #@$% about resale value, i bought it to drive it and drive it i shall, whether its into a fence, wall or the ground or another car.)

Guest Rolling Parts

Sunroofs are a lot like vinyl tops.

It's not so much that people hate them so much as they detract from the smooth lines of the car. Unfortunately dealers in the early 70's thought it was a good idea to "pimp out" the Z since there were so few factory options. Always a bit funny to see the added fake wire wheels and some vinyl side stripes to complete the "pimp mobile" motif that some dealers did to these poor cars.

Sunroofs are a lot like vinyl tops.

It's not so much that people hate them so much as they detract from the smooth lines of the car. Unfortunately dealers in the early 70's thought it was a good idea to "pimp out" the Z since there were so few factory options. Always a bit funny to see the added fake wire wheels and some vinyl side stripes to complete the "pimp mobile" motif that some dealers did to these poor cars.

:lol: That is so funny, The first thing I did when i got my 240z home is pull off the front and rear bumpers with those silly looking brush guards on them off and pulled off the door dinger strips off each side.

I prefer the clean mean look. :D

:wink: I now have one with and one without it. I like it on my personnel Z because it removes the heat better then without it. I did have it on a 280Z that I owned awhile ago, before I got rid of, but I liked it then. I do not have air conditioning in the car that I have now and air flow helps with the removal of that hot air. I do have auto body training and have put it in the right way. I sealed it with the modern body sealers, both inside and out. I also have a few of them sitting around here that I have taken out of Z's that were parted out. I got the idea to do it after the 2000 Z meet in Las Vegas. We got to do laps around the speedway in the heat of summer. After three sessions on the track I was totally drained from the heat (didn't have it then). Now I am in NC and it is hot/humid here this year. It helps get the hot air out of the car. I do know that I cannot do this to my race car and understand why. I am not worried about the body strength from the roof. I have a roll bar installed in it (street car) at this time and also have strut braces, front and rear. I think it is up to the individual to decide if you want it or not. So make your own decision and live with it. Good Luck with your project, Rich.:ugg::windows:

It's really up to whoever owns the car, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another thing I'll eventually have to fix when it breaks. I've got a factory sun roof on my 720 pickup and to be honest, I just think it makes the car that much hotter in the summer. As for airflow, my 71 is almost black (charcoal metallic) and provided I'm not sitting still at an intersection, it cools off just fine with the windows down in a Southern Indiana August which stays pretty humid and can clip 100 a couple of days a week.

I love mine, but It's different than any Z installation I've ever come accross.

The unit is electric operated, and slides back into thr roof. When closed it seals tight. Four corner drain tubes keep it from leaking into the cabin, and there is no wind noise.

The car was originally from Texas, and whoever welded this in place did a fantastic job. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this setup.

Jim

The unit is electric operated, and slides back into thr roof. When closed it seals tight. Four corner drain tubes keep it from leaking into the cabin, and there is no wind noise.

The car was originally from Texas, and whoever welded this in place did a fantastic job. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this setup.

Jim

Do you have any pics?

• 11 years later...
On 7/14/2009 at 12:28 PM, jr260z said:

Jim

Jim,

I am with you! Actually acquired in 1997 in CA, a 280Z 2+2 Auto with an electric sunroof! According to Nissan, apparently, in 1975, a dealer contracted out to a new sunroof company, which eventually became the American Sunroof, to cut these roofs into 20 2+2s as an experiment. This is one of the 20! I need to find new seals and it was operable for years until recently, still working away. Hit me up and we can compare notes.