HybridZ

Porsche 928 Turbo V8 Swap

HoustonZ

This is an awesome project! Couple questions though.

It seems as if you have the single cam engine in the first pictures but it looks like the twin cam motor in the CAD and on the engine stand, so which one is it? And you wouldn't happen to know how much the twin cam motor makes over the single cam motor for those big cylinder head?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all those Porsche Motors are single cam? they just changed displacement throughout its life, like from 4.5 to 4.7 to 5.0 (something like that),

How are you going to do the gearbox? just make a custom bellhousing and throw in a T56 or you going to keep the transaxle - now that would be a project :-)!

I have always wanted to know this after seeing an episode of Top Gear where J Clarkson purchased a 928 and the engine started to let go, how does not having bore liners effect things?

Good eye. My engine is a 4.5l 16v single cam from a 1982 928. The other engine on the stand is my buddy's 5.5l stroked dual cam 32v which he is building at the same time as me.

The reason for the complicated exploded diagrams was that I was highlighting the difficulty of adapting the Z32 transmission to the 928 block. I want to use the Z32 clutch and flywheel too, which need adapter plates to work.

The bores are nikasil coated, which greatly helps any wear issues.

from what it looks like the 4.5 and 4.7 are SOHC, and the 5.0 and 5.4 are DOHC

but it also looks like europe got a 4.7 DOHC engine.

anyways, his cad shows a DOHC engine but his engine is a SOHC

He's making a custom adaptor with adaptor plates to mate a 300ZX flywheel and clutch to the porsche engine.

as for Clarksons 928, his porsche was just in very poor shape.

Just noticed this thread, I'm on a course using some of what you started with, (There is no Datsun content whatsoever.)

I've pulled the engine from a 928,( here's where we part company) I've dumped it! As other people have mentioned, Even know it is alloy, it is HEAVY! I'm now installing a toyota 3UZ 4.3 litre from a 2002 Lexus 430. The Toyota V8 including the 5 speed auto, weighs about 50 pounds lighter than the Porker engine on it's own

Also removed the torque tube and transaxle, (leaving the Weisach rear suspension) tunnel will be "expanded to fit the 5 speed auto.

The end result should be lighter, faster, more economical, more reliable, and a lot less expensive to fix.:mrgreen:

(engine mounts not completed yet, It's not sitting quite level)

Quad cam, 32 valve, Vvti,

Love those Toyota engines!

2r5g6bm.jpg

2a6jcb4.jpg

Looking good! That should be great fun. Yeah they are fairly heavy! Although I think getting rid of the power steering pump, compressor, and air pump will really help.

Goldfish, don't feel too bad. The 928 is getting a brand new 5.5l stroked turbo'd engine put back into it.

Made some progress this week! I pulled the L28 and now have an empty engine bay. Time to start designing the mounts and adapters.

I'm wanting some sort of semi solid mount, but with decent vibration dampening. This initial design has a 1/2" thick rubber pad on the 2"x8" mounting plate.

Mounts.jpg

Mounts2.jpg

Mounts3.jpg

TrannyMount.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice! Looks like you're doing some excellent work there, the CAD definitely helps on a project of this magnitude.

Isn't the compression ratio fairly high on these engines, something like 9.5-10:1. Any special precautions to prevent detonation?

• 3 weeks later...

Provided it clears the steering rack and I can relocate the alternator, I'll be able to simply bolt the headers on backwards and mount the turbo in front of the motor.

The CAD is definitely a huge help. Solidworks is a dream to work in, especially 2009...

I hope to go down to Houston this weekend and do about 20 hours of work on mounting the engine. The tranny adapter needs to be machined, motor mounts cut and welded, and the engine hung in the bay.

Provided it clears the steering rack and I can relocate the alternator, I'll be able to simply bolt the headers on backwards and mount the turbo in front of the motor.

The CAD is definitely a huge help. Solidworks is a dream to work in, especially 2009...

I hope to go down to Houston this weekend and do about 20 hours of work on mounting the engine. The tranny adapter needs to be machined, motor mounts cut and welded, and the engine hung in the bay.

Oh man. Want to share your part files for the chassis/engine bay, it would save my life doing my engine mounts for my swap

Something that has probably never ever been done, a Z32 tranny on a Porsche 928 block. She fits like a dream. This weekend I finished the adapter plate as well as steel engine mounts. Next time I'll hang the engine in the bay and weld everything together.

IMAGE_060.jpg

IMAGE_058.jpg

IMAGE_056.jpg

IMAGE_054.jpg

IMAGE_062.jpg

NIce work keep it up and keep us updated for sure Iam definatly subscribed.

What do you have left now motor mounts, tranny mounts, driveshaft?

What differential setup will you go with this swap.

I dont know if this has been asked but whats hp/torque out this motor in stock form?

Finally someone found a use for 928's lol. Having raced/autocrossed just about every porsche out there. don't get me wrong, they're a different animal. Extremly fun to power through corners. When they came in the shop, it was another story. Everybody avoided them like a plauge. The electronics, it was like Lucas all over agin with the Jags. Lol I do love a challenge though.

BTW. ?If this post make no sense I'm a couple cases past.

• 3 weeks later...