HybridZ

79-81 rear brake caliper plastic spacers

madkaw

Sorry I don't have a pic for this, but my laptop is in the shop and it's a pain to do on my old desktop. You guys that are familiar with the yoke style brackets on the 79-81 rear calipers should know what I am talking about as far as the plastic guides(spacers, bushings, ect..), what ever you call them, they are the only plastic piece on the cailper brackets. We'll one of them broke on my set up while I was trying to position the caliper back into the bracket. It broke so easy that I'm thinking that they have broken for other folks and are probably missing from other brakes and the folks don't even know it. How important are these and what are they exactly for? It seems to me that the caliper is wedged pretty good in that bracket and can't go anywhere easily. If anything the plastic guides are just that, guides to keep the caliper square in the bracket-correct? Any clue where to get them-probably Nissan only.

I actually ordered to calipers from Rock Auto and one came with the complete bracket(5$ extra), which I thought would have the plastic pieces, but NNOOOOOOO, it has everything BUT the plastic guides. Do I even need to worry about it?

I know a picture says a thousand words -so here you go. These are the plastic spacers I am refering to-that are NOT found in the manual or a new hardware kit. As you see from the pic they are maybe in place of the retainer spring that I got in the kit and are not installed on this caliper.

Okay , so maybe I can't paste a picture.

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

WOW, I can' believe I am the only one that has had this issue. I called MSA and they said that this is a discontinued item by nissan. So I guess your just Fu&%ed if these pieces break. I guess I will have to improvise for now, but I don't like improvising when it comes to brakes.