HybridZ

headlight switch/hood struts

AlwithaZ

Hi, my headlight switch is out in my 85 NA. but i dont wanna have to buy one from autozone or somewhere for like 120$...all the other lights work on the switch...is there anyway i can tap the headlight wire under dash top an external switch? im good at soldering and wouldnt mind setting up an extra relay or fuse block. any help would be awesome thanks...

btw is there anyway around the bad hood strucks, like to stiffen them alittle, or should i just keep using a bat? haha (im on a tight budget)

Edit* i meant if you know what wire to tap, would be great thanks..

The light switch can be a real PITA, but if you pull it out and clean the contacts (little reeds) they will usually work. Just pull the cover, and the switch is held in with a couple of screws. Believe me, its a lot easier to pull and repair the switch than to try and dig into the wiring harness.

As for the hood struts, check at NAPA or one of the other chain parts stores they are cheaper than yu might imagine. I might have a set somewhere in the garage that I won't be using (I'm going with a tilt front end) if I can find them they're yours. If you want them, PM me.

Edited by Chaparral2f
Content

napa does have the hood struts for a reasonable price but you need to grind off the rivet and retain the bracket that mounts to the hood on the stock units. napa supplies a special bolt that you then use to mount the hood bracket to the strut. Don't put em in backwards as did my son. bends the ear on the strut and then you have to bend it back.

i tried with the headlight switch today. the switch is just bad..the lowbeam fingers werent making conact and i couldnt get it to touch. so monday ima hit up junkyard, get that navigator electric fan and a light switch. and some odds and ends on interior. thanks everyone!