HybridZ

Toyota 4x4 Vented Brake Pads Options?

Hey guys, I am going to go the cheap route with my brakes on my newest '75 and just use the vented rotors from a '84-'85 non Turbo 300zx and use the Toyota 4x4 calipers from the late '80's 4x4 pickup.

Anyway, I would like a better pad than what AutoZone carries. The trouble I am finding what other pads from other cars/trucks will interchange with the vented caliper setup.

When I did my VENTED 4x4 disc brake conversion last time I believe I used '84 300zx pads, but I can't be sure, I do know they weren't Toyota type pads.

So brake gurus, what other year/make/model pads will interchange with the late '80's 4x4 Toyota calipers?

Thanks guys!!

Parts needed:

-a pair of calipers from a 79-84 toyota 4x4 pickup with S12 stamping on the side. Napa carries these rebuilt units for about $50-60/each.

-good pads. EBC, Hawk, or Porterfields

-recommended, but not required: a 15/16 master cylinder, SS brake lines, and new rotors

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735

I dont know if any brake pads interchange with those calipers. However, according to tirerack.com Hawk makes their "street" pads for the 80s toyota 4x4 calipers. Also I believe if you get in touch with a brake pad manufacturer, say Porterfield, they will be able to make a brake pad custom to your application, ie you basically give them your stock brake pad backing plate and they'll do the rest. Id go that route personally.

Let me know what you go with, I'm considering the same upgrade but not ready to piece it together quite yet.

I posted that because you can call EBC, Hawk or Porterfield and tell them you have a 79-84 toyota 4x4 pickup with S12 stamping on the side. No custom made pads.. they all make pads for that application.

Only the 300zx pads are interchangeable with the vented brakes, not the non-vented from memory. If not.. just trim the 300zx pads.

i run porterfield r4 on track.but on the street i just use some pads from napa for a toyota truck.no squeeking and the pads sre easy on the rotors.the extra size of the pads will soak up more heat.i have hit a 45 mph off ramp at 110+ and braked hard with the napa pads no problem.the problem comes from a constant use like a race track.even a short course like an autox will only need a normal use pad.

I looked through the Porterfield catalog, and found that the pads for a 86 - 95 RX7 5 bolt hubs are ALMOST the same size as the Toyota truck pads. The RX7 pads (Porterfield AP331) are 4.18 inches across, while the toyota pads (Porterfield AP137) are 4.21 inches across. Has anyone tried RX7 pads in the Toyota S12-8 calipers?

Yes those pads do fit. But some work is involved. First you must trim off the pad wear indicators. Then the guide pin holes must be welded up and redrilled lower in the pad. Overall about 1 hour's worth of work per set.

• 1 year later...

I went with the non-vented Toyota caliper setup and went with organic pads against my better judgement, but it was they had in stock and I need my car back together. They work fine for normal stop and go driving, but one good hard stop and they uber fadded.

So now I am going to break down and spend some coin on the good semi-metalic pads.