HybridZ

oil pressure sensor

zylephone

WHen at idle my car shows normal oil pressure but when the engine is reved it drops all the way down to 0. but then when i get up at speed and hold it constant speed it goes up to almost 90

i replaced the sending unit and replaced the oil filter and the oil about 2k miles ago but it has been doing it since before i did that

what could be wrong

There's a good chance your sensor has died, or is dying again. Those things seem to have an effective life of about 5 years before kicking the bukkit, but have been known to be DOA. The stock gauge is also pretty crappy.

If you're going to replace it with an aftermarket gauge and sending unit, know that the thread for the sender is 1/8" BSPT, not NPT, you will need an adapter for it. Adapters can be found from z31parts.com or autometer, I'm sure many other places too.

ok i made a mistake in my first post. it stays between 30 and 60 going down the road but whenever i put my foot into the throttle at all it drops significantly.

and yes the level is good it does not burn any oil either

so should i try replacing the gauge?

i replaced the sending unit about 3 months ago