HybridZ

Vg30dett z31

pcaudell

I'm just getting into the forum, I'm almost thru with my engine swap,dett into a z31. I'm hoping to be making a test run in afew weeks. My son recently turboed a 04 spec v and then I got the turbo bug. I couldn't find a turbo motor for my 86 300zx so I bought a dett, alot of time and work figuring this one out. I hope I'm impressed!

102_0121_thumb.jpg

Edited by BRAAP
Realigned picture for easier reading of the text...

Wow you are definitely not a member of the z31 community, and I mean that in a good way. Congrats for just doing it, not coming to any forum and asking about it, like most people do (not usually on this specific forum, in general)

Good luck the rest of the way, take lots of pictures!!

I still have a little painting to do, I'm thinking of modifying the hood that's why I haven't painted it yet. I appreciate the compliments, just gotta take your time. The way I look at it if someone else can do it why can't I do it, with the acception of equipment.

The way I look at it if someone else can do it why can't I do it, with the acception of equipment.

I have to agree, but its easy to let the project get out of control. I started out to just drop a sbc into my Z31, and ended up turning the car into a garage full of parts, and a lot of moly tubing.

I guess I'm just depressed because its been about a hundred degrees for a couple weeks, and its too hot to work in the shop. I fabbed a cowl for my hood to clear the carb and magneto. Of course now the mag sits behind the hood, and I'm welding the whole thing up so the whole front end will tilt forward.

body over chassis1_thumb.JPG

15616_thumb.attach

your build looks a little more involved. I had to make a trans cross member, modify the motor mounts, have a driveshaft made, and figure some plumbing and wiring, not to bad compared to what you've started. I also painted it.

I started to put a 400 sbc in but figured it would be easier to go nissan. I'm used to sbc I hope I'm not disappointed with the dett in performance.

My son has a 04 Spec v and turboed it and it's pretty damn fast, so I thought I would give the ole turbo world a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
your build looks a little more involved. I had to make a trans cross member, modify the motor mounts, have a driveshaft made, and figure some plumbing and wiring, not to bad compared to what you've started. I also painted it.

I started to put a 400 sbc in but figured it would be easier to go nissan. I'm used to sbc I hope I'm not disappointed with the dett in performance.

My son has a 04 Spec v and turboed it and it's pretty damn fast, so I thought I would give the ole turbo world a shot.

i highly doubt you will be dissatisfied! the Z31 weighs quite a bit less than the Z32 and they are pretty fast stock. that car is going to have some big balls haha

Thats a really really nice swap. That motor stock is rated at 300 hp and it so easy to get 450 + out of those things. In a z31 should screammmm! What are you using for engine management system the stock z31? you can always tune that thing if you go nistune. Which utitlizes the original nissan ECU. Do you have the exhaust system fabbed? please keep us updated and welcometo the forum

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really this is awesome . I love your car by the way , If u dont mind me asking what motor mounts and transmission mounts did you use? And was the wiring hard? U should make your own z31 Dett Swap guide for us That would be awesome ? how long the swap take and cost so far? Sorry if i asked to much. :):)