HybridZ

Dash Cap cracked already??!?

Well its been about a year since I installed my dash cap and now theres a 3 inch crack right in the rear middle area. This thing was a pain to install and now looks like I have to do it again. Ive never had it in the sun for extended periods of time and it spends 6 days a week in the garage. Maybe the garage got to hot? Anyone else have this happen?

For those of you that has the damaged dash cap, where did you get it from? Just curious where these came from as I got a full dash cap from MSA that's about to get installed. Not sure if it might be supplier specific or just a common problem. I've seen one on another car and it's been there for a while. It's just faded. Then again, it's a half cap and it just sits on the dash no glue or compound of any kind. The guy just puts it on top and uses it more for a cover. Over hard bumps sometimes it bounces around but doesn't fall off.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123189

Try that out. I think its a good concept, and don't use 2 part epoxy, use bumper repair like he did, its meant to withstand sun and heat, 2 part epoxy, well, its not. Other than that, you could go aluminum dash. If you wish to retain A/C, maybe custom ducting. You would have to make the directors or whatever you wana call them fit. but you could get them out of any car you wanted.

Whoops, I guess I should explain why mine is warped in the first place before anyone gets the wrong idea.

I purchased my full dash cover last year through MSA and did a test fit over my factory dash. It seemed to fit well enough, but I was dissatisfied with a few things. It didn't extend completely down the sides where the doors open, it didn't completely cover the center of the dash (on the lower side, close to the center console) and the plastic was a different shade compared to the glovebox.

I left it hanging out, just loosely fitted, while I tried to make up my mind about whether to glue it down or not. On the first hot, sunny day it began to warp. Now I'm going to take it off, buy a sun shade to put in the window, and live with the two small cracks in my original dash.

If I had actually glued it in place properly I'm sure it would still look fine (aside from the above mentioned items).