HybridZ

Starting 280zx Shaved Rear

V8_DatZun

I use to look at peoples work and say the SAME thing. Before this project the only piece i EVER WELDED IN MY LIFE was a patch to cover my shifter hole and mount my automatic shifter, and a patch for the taillight panel where it was rusted out.

My advice to anyone is jump into something simple, and just TRY. You never know how good you will be until you try. And NO i do not have $1000 dollar equipment to work with. I cut all of my metal with a jigsaw with a metal blade, and an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. My welder was bought used and is a cheaper name brand (Clarke) but i only paid 200 dollars for it, and it is a 600-800 dollar welder.

Just try... you never get the practice or experience if you do not jump in and give it a shot. Im not saying cut up your quarter panels as i did... lol but start with rusted floor pans if you arent sure about your metal or welding skills... before long you'll be better than you realize.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW Beau your car is going to look SWEET when it's done. Love the DATSUN rear...

I'll finish the welding tomorrow and take pics. Hopefully by friday I'll be through with the bondo (i only have a few hours each day before work) I'm still pretty sick and didn't feel like working on the car today. I slept most of the day. Now that I'm up and moving around I'm really aggravated i didnt work on the car much today..

I'll update the thread as the progress comes along. All of the cutting/bending and fabricating is done. All i have to do is finish the seam welding and grind the welds down.

Is it just me or.... Does my rear now resemble the new Challengers? Also got me thinking I may try and steal the rear valance from a challenger and see if it will work on my car. some fabrication will of course be needed but its worth a shot at only $59 dollars new...rear005.jpg30894560122_large.jpg

Hmm not a bad idea STeelToad... I think the bottom needs some kind of trim look to it.. If i can't reshape what is there to look right im going to cut the very bottom off (where the slots, and exhaust cutout is), and try and make the challenger trim fit. I know i'll have to do some modification but i think it'll look good... Especially since i want dual exhaust anyway

Good eye S130z. Here is the link to it. It's on hold for the moment until i can get some of the other stuff finished up. I have to get a GPS so i can fab the mounts and mold it in all at once (using GPS for speedo behind steering wheel). After that i can pretty much stretch my fabric and glass away.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=150065

I have read through that thread a while ago. I will post some questions in there so I won't clog this thread with unrelated stuff. Great progress though! I am really interested to see what you will do with the bottom of the roll pan.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally stopped raining. I got out today and started doing a little bondo on the back driver side. I almost got it smoothed out, but ran out of bondo (blah) I have a buddy that works at a body shop see how much he can get me a gallon for, and in what kind of time frame. If its going to take a while I'm just going to go buy a gallon myself and pay a little more.

More bad news. On the OTHER side of the tail light panel (driver side) I found where it was rusted through in spots... The previous owner covered it up with bondo. So, I've got another patch to make. LoL I'm about tired of welding for a little while. This has been a LOT of welding to shave the back of this ZX. I guess im going to start on that tomorrow while im waiting on bondo. Just wanted to update everyone and let you know I didn't give up. Just has been raining or threatening rain EVERY day for the past week/week and a half.

A few pics of what i got before i ran out of body filler... The quarter panel is still wavy, and i didnt get much of the back done... BUT it's coming along slowly, and my buddy said he can have my body filler Tuesday, so more to come. I probably wont post more pics until it is complete, but i'll answer any questions or comments anyone has

**Edit**

Also before i get asked, no im not putting body filler over that surface rust. I'm wire brushing it off before i bondo.

ourpics030.jpg

ourpics031.jpg

ourpics032.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a day with no rain. Working on it now. Ill post pics at the end of the day. I have a patch i found i have to cut out and fab a new patch piece, but hopefully i can get most of everything done.

**BTW**

Hah i kicked my EX to the curb... She said i was spending too much money on the Z.. SORRY but a GIRLFRIEND of only 8 months isn't gonna come between me and a 3 year old Z project. She just didn't understand *sigh* So goes the life of a Z owner...

Ok here are a few pics. I'm not done with the body filler yet, as you can see the passanger side quarter panel is still a little wavy. I had to pick up some supplies, and didn't get as much done as i thought i would today. Hopefully tomorrow i can finish it all up roughly (i don't have any light weight finishing filler). I think it's going to look sexy when i'm done though!

**Edit**

The last pic rear shot, I have to straighten the valance up and cut the exhaust hole on passanger side. OR should i try and make that challanger valance work?

ourpics034.jpg

ourpics035.jpg

ourpics036.jpg

• 3 months later...