HybridZ

ford v10

suparman

• Administrators

Stock, isn't a real powerhouse especially for its size, weight, and number of cylinders, (really anemic for its displacement at 310 HP), HUGE by large external dimensions,... Those are just a couple reasons I can think of why it has not been done.

About the only reason I can see for doing this swap is soley to fill the need to build "a different" hybrid-Z! For that reason, I say :2thumbs:

Well the above is very true, but the 3valve Mustang GT engine (which is essentially a V8 of the same Mod V10) make very good power with a little assisted breathing... ;) So if you find some blanks for some cams and nab some power parts for a GT, than I'm sure you could make very respectable power with it...

Give it a try...

What about dodge truck v10s? Not sure how similar they are to the viper v10's, but I'm sure the parts are likely to be more interchangeable than the parts for the mustang and ford v10. This might make sourcing performance parts easier.

i used to be a ford dealer tech.that v10 should work after it gets some cams.last 3 valve mod motor i saw apart the cams were on a tube with the lobes pressed on.so if you were very creative you might be able to solve the cam problem yourself.the ford svo guys did build a v10 mustang once.the problem with ford modular engine series is the ohc heads make for a tall motor that is not as tightly packaged as a ohv cam-in-block motor.but go for it-this is all about being creative.

What about dodge truck v10s? Not sure how similar they are to the viper v10's, but I'm sure the parts are likely to be more interchangeable than the parts for the mustang and ford v10. This might make sourcing performance parts easier.

Unless you pull a V-10 from an SRT-10 Ram truck nothing interchanges between the two. different oiling, oil pans, cooling, heads ,intakes, Material ect.

That cobra is OLD news now, and isn't likely to see product, at least looking anything like that concept.

They DID put one of their V10 engines into a Mustang Cobra Mule car before the new GT500 came out, but they decided to just stick with the 5.4 V8 for now. The mule car wasn't to really weigh the idea as much as to just show that it could be done. The mule car was the older 99-04 body style btw.

Their V10 has heads that SHOULD flow really well, but the stroke of those engines would have insanely high piston speed if you wanted to rev it up to 7k, somewhat limiting the extreme HP potential of the engine.

The main reasons I could see it being done though is for massive torque thanks to huge displacement, combined with a OHC design. Some people just don't like pushrods, though if you want displacement they're the way to go IMO. Another REALLY GOOD REASON to do this swap is the sound. The Ford V10 with the right exhaust sounds downright exotic to me, like in a Mercedes black kinda way. The problem you'll find in most videos on youtube of the V10 is that they're on trucks running huge pipes over large lengths. Shorten up the length and keep the diameters realistic and they sound gorgeous.

The main reason NOT to do it is size. The 4.6 DOHC is a TIGHT fit into a Z car. Too tight for comfort for most people I think. The 5.4 liter blocks gain acceptable rod/stroke ratios by increasing the deck height by quite a bit, making the overall engine much larger. To do this swap and keep the clearances good enough that you can actually work on the engine, I think you'd have to tube chassis the front end of the car, and I can count the people I've seen do that on here on my two hands. I'm sure there's more, but you get my point, they're the minority of the extremists that frequent this site.

I have to say I find them intriguing engines to say the least, and would love to see someone do the swap RIGHT.

Does any one have pics of a tube chassie front on a z? I had figured on modifying an s10 frame and channeling it in to the body. tube chassie would be cleaner looking set it up for mustang bolt ons and use airbags to handle performance and weight

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148608&

not a z, but a good example of a tube chassis conversion

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=134849&

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=146110&

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147404&

There's more, I'm just not finding them right now. Look up stony's car, and blueovalz.

• Administrators
Does any one have pics of a tube chassie front on a z? I had figured on modifying an s10 frame and channeling it in to the body. tube chassie would be cleaner looking set it up for mustang bolt ons and use airbags to handle performance and weight

So does this mean you are building it? :2thumbs:

As mentioned, the performance potential of the Ford V-10 is there at 6.8L, (413 CID), with some massaging, and some of the trucks I have heard have an incredible exotic sports car sound to the exhaust note. Here's a couple of examples;

• Administrators
still deciding, saw @ supercharged 350 for $6,000 400 horse. But more cylinders is better. at least I think so.

Shameless plug...

I have a boostable SBC 350 for sale with JTR mounts in the link below, many parts are brand new never installed, including the aluminum heads, Scat crank and rods, engine is fully machined, ARP hardware throughout, unassembled, ready for assembly, capable of well over 600 HP, depending on your boost... for only $3500

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=150422

The SBC, even boosted, will be easier to get in the car, lighter weight, but wont have the WOW factor the V-10 does. :shock:

Paul makes a fantastic point, I'm not sure what the Ford heads flow, but I do know they have a pretty meaty set of balance shafts that are on top of the heads. Also, the LS3/L92 heads do flow pretty well for a OHV V8 and I'm pretty sure that a healthy LSx you could get VERY close as far as HP is concerned to a full blown OHC V10.

All this said,

I still say go for it, HBZ is about trying something new, pushing the limits, and throwing together something crazy to crank that grin beyond the ears. Is a V8 better? Can you make a good S30 with a ford V10? Will it be a kick?

Someone needs to answer these questions... By trying:2thumbs:

Well, considering that the iron block DOHC 4.6 engines have been known to breach the 900whp threshold on stock internals I'd say there's a good change that a boosted V10 could see some insane numbers at 6.8 liters. Just because we haven't seen it done doesn't mean it can't. The modular engines are extremely... modular? What tends to be the main differences from one to the next is how well the heads flow depending on the valve number and the application it was designed for. The Cobra heads flow well, and many people think it's mostly the cam application combined with the right intake and exhaust combo to match it.

The iron blocks are obviously stronger than the aluminum blocks, but that puts the V10 in your favor if you're going boosted.

All that said, the guys making those 900+ numbers on cobra engines didn't do it on the cheap. Fuel, EFI, Throttle Body, Sensors, Supercharger, etc all require attention in modification. I doubt the V10 would be any different.