HybridZ

1987 300zx Turbo Problem

mitch603

Well the other day when i was driving i went to pass some old lady driver. So i kicked down into third and went WOT to pass her. When i hit my normal stock 7psi boost the guage went higher and higher and then my boost hit 20psi!!! The car backfired and freaked out.then when i parked on the side of the road my Vac was at 27 when it used to be at 19-20please help me

Well the other day when i was driving i went to pass some old lady driver. So i kicked down into third and went WOT to pass her. When i hit my normal stock 7psi boost the guage went higher and higher and then my boost hit 20psi!!! The car backfired and freaked out.then when i parked on the side of the road my Vac was at 27 when it used to be at 19-20please help me

Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? Manual Boost Controller?

My stock boost gauge tops out at the stock 6 psi

I do have an aftermarket boost gauge that shows boost to 30psi and vac to 30mmhg.

The car is not really running that well anymore. Lots of bluish-white smoke from the exhusat with the occasional backfire or two.

Unfortunately i do not have a boost controller. but i was looking to put in a hallman pro with an HKS BOV to stop the excessive boost.

The seals are not blown. I ran the car today with noi smoke. I am still overboosting like crazy. But i went under the car and there are 2 vaccum nipples right on the side of the turbo and they are not connected to anything

They should be connected to the waste gate actuator right? That would be the problem.

Can you keep your right foot off the pedal a bit until you figure out what's wrong?

You don't HAVE to be in boost all the time ;)

Do a compression test, that will narrow it down.

Its parked in my garage until i figure out whats wrong. the only time i run it is when i test out repairs at the moment and how would i go about doing a compression test

so, no vacuum reference for your wastegate as 240Zed said?

Also you might want to check out Z31performance dot com or other Z31 sites. They are more geared to your chassis/platform and willl most likely know more about common isues with the VG30ET.

so, no vacuum reference for your wastegate as 240Zed said?

Also you might want to check out Z31performance dot com or other Z31 sites. They are more geared to your chassis/platform and willl most likely know more about common isues with the VG30ET.

i have no clue what the vacum lines on my turbo go to. ANy ideas

facepalm.jpg

Haha Here are some pictures of my T3:

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

The wastegate opens at a certain PSI to stop over boosting/boost spikes/whatever you want to call it.

It needs vacuum reference to do this. Once the WG hits a certain boost level, it will open a valve to let the exhaust gas bypass the turbine

ExhTurbine.gif

Does your turbo have those vacuum hoses?

• 4 months later...